One Hundred Push Ups

Dintiradan

(Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Embarrass Myself in Front of the Internet.)

Perhaps like many others here, I lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle. I used to do exercises on a regular basis at home, but that died out around the fourth year of my undergrad. I occasionally jog nowadays, but that's it.

I'd like that to change, and I've tried restarting exercises a few times, but nothing seems to stick. There are two underlying reasons, I think. One, I never followed any specific program, or had a specific goal in mind. Two, I always exercised alone, and thus had no accountability.

I was doing an archive trawl on another forum I visit, and came across One Hundred Push Ups being used as a challenge for the community. Since there's a lot of community activity in General lately, I thought it might make a good challenge for us as well. We all have a specific goal in mind, and if enough people participate, we'll be able to keep each other motivated.

(The usual medical caveats apply: contact your doctor if you're unsure if such an exercise program is right for you. The other forum I mentioned had a much older average age, and a lot of members dropped out due to joint or back issues.)

So, if you're interested, try out the initial test, and see how many (good form) push-ups you're able to do right now. Post your initial number (or don't, if you prefer). I'm going to potentially embarrass myself here: it's 19 for me. Seeing that I used to do sets of 25, I've fallen a fair bit. But the important thing is that I -- and you as well! -- can become better than we were before.

So take the test, or cheer those who do from the sidelines; come Monday we'll be starting with Week One.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
So, if you're interested, try out the initial test, and see how many (good form) push-ups you're able to do right now. Post your initial number (or don't, if you prefer). I'm going to potentially embarrass myself here: it's 19 for me.
I can top (bottom?) that: 0 Good-Form push-ups.

Mind, while some of it is definitely a lack of upper-body strength (and a non-lack of upper-body weight), the other half is that I have ridiculous difficulty actually maintaining good form; my abdominal muscles always want to take over, which means I get going only to realize its my abs doing half the work. Even when I was in shape, I was never really able to do push-ups properly.

(It also really doesn't help that I'm still a bit sore and stiff from helping my neighbor move)

I got going with this one right off the bat. After all, why not do something to be more healthy and fit? I started cranking out push-ups, when it dawned on me that this late hour of the night probably isn't the best time for it.

Nevertheless, I got twenty-one push-ups in, and I could have kept going, so I'll advance through the program along with everyone else. I'll just take the third column, even though I might be able to skip to week three. It's the community effort that's important, right?

I have just completed Week 1 of my own personal start-exercising-again-after-too-many-years program. I've been running a pathetically short distance each day, and doing a reduced version of the old military PT routine as far as I remember it. Except that I need to get a chin-up bar.

I'm not planning on shooting for large numbers of push-ups in particular, though twenty-five years ago I could drop and do 50 without thinking anything of it. 50 was the maximum unit in the army, for some reason, so I don't know how close I ever got to doing 100 in a row. For the record, I managed 20 in each set on my over-ambitious first day, but for now I'm only trying to do 12 of each kind of exercise in my set, with the idea of adding 1 every week. Once I get up to three sets of 20 of each activity, I'll start thinking about switching to weights.

I guess 20 doesn't include chin-ups. Those are really hard; very few people can do 20 of them. 10 is a more realistic target.

Otherwise, the routine emphasizes stomach muscles much more than arms. Crunches and leg and knee raises, rather than traditional sit-ups.

It's more important to me that I keep this up for as many years and decades as I can, than that I make rapid progress to Hulkitude. I'd rather run just 20 minutes a day for the next thirty years than an hour day for the next three weeks. I have seen how inactivity slowly turns middle-aged people into slugs, but I have also seen how regular exercise can keep people remarkably buff into advanced age. I want to be in the second group.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
I can top (bottom?) that: 0 Good-Form push-ups.

Mind, while some of it is definitely a lack of upper-body strength (and a non-lack of upper-body weight), the other half is that I have ridiculous difficulty actually maintaining good form; my abdominal muscles always want to take over, which means I get going only to realize its my abs doing half the work. Even when I was in shape, I was never really able to do push-ups properly.

Mostly the same problem for me, but playing basketball out in my driveway this spring must have helped a bit, since I managed 4 (although the last one was a bit questionable as to whether it was good form or not).
Nevertheless, I will take part in this.

Yeah, I'm in a similar situation to SoT, sort of, in that I don't particularly want to hulk up, but my own exercise so far has only really been running and stuff like that to boost my overall fitness,, as opposed to actually building strength.

Still, I said I'd take part, and it does fit into my schedule fairly easily, so huzzah.

I tend to stay pretty active throughout the day, and consequently neglect to consider that nothing I'm doing is actually building any cardiovascular strength or generally improving my health. I opened with thirty pushups; though I'm not quite sure at what phase of tiredness you're supposed to stop.

Really, though, I should probably be running instead of doing pushups. The ideal body type these days seems to be the tall thin nerdy build, though I'm not sure even fasting would get me there.

I tried doing this routine along with regular weight lifting. I saw some small improvements, but I wasn't making much progress without diet control. Simple workouts like these are effective if you aren't used to exercising, but, unless you're blessed with a body that easily builds muscle, there are other essential factors to physical fitness than simply moving your muscles until they hurt.

If you're going to do this routine, I'd recommend supplementing your diet with some whey powder protein. Just get in the habit of drinking it after working out and mixing a scoop or two in with other meals throughout the day.

Another thing to consider with the push-up is that there are a lot of varieties to the exercise that emphasize different muscle groups and lessen or increase the resistance you're pushing against. If you're struggling to complete your workout, instead of giving up, try widening your arms or dropping to your knees. You can also mix up the routine by widening or narrowing your hands.

Also, form is everything. Slow and steady with equal breaths with fewer reps is much better than a bunch of rapid reps while holding your breath. I know no one asked for advice, but here it is. tongue

One thing I'll say in this program's favor: it's great at work if you have an office. Just a few minutes and you can take a break, get some exercise, and it's surprising how refreshed you feel. Attire and acceptable work levels of sweatiness are concerns, of course.

—Alorael, who will also plug You Are Your Own Gym. He hates gyms, and he hates making time to go to them. Making time to do something at home, like this program, is much preferable from his perspective, and you don't really need all those fancy gadgets to just work some muscles. Also, the usual suggestion: get up and walk around more. Maybe even try standing up at your computer, if you can manage to rig that comfortably.

Running is a much better path to health than any single exercise, with perhaps the exception of pushups—weak abs = bad back often enough.

But any way, I've actually managed to stay pretty active since Highschool. A friend and I started running 3-4 years back. He slowed down a bit because of work, but I've managed to do two marathons (42km) and lots of half marathons.

I think one of the biggest hurtles for people is that there really is no easy way to get healthy or fit—there is no secret. The only thing that works is, as runners say, the TRIAL OF MILES (MILES OF TRIALS), which means you have to put in time consistently to get anywhere. Often people start with an exercise programme, then upon finding that they aren't improving, or only very slowly, they give up or look for an easier way, which I assure you there are none.

Running has done nothing for my upper body so I'll take part in this challenge and cheer us all on.

Today's total = 15

I did only 33 push-ups. When I was in Naval bootcamp I was one of only 4 people in my division of 73 to do more than 100 push-ups in 2 min by doing 106 and I was beaten by two others. I haven't pushed myself to do that since. I've been out of the Navy for over 6 years and have barely done any push-ups since I got out.

Post #667 cool

Originally Posted By: Arch-Mage Solberg
I did only 33 push-ups. When I was in Naval bootcamp I was one of only 4 people in my division of 73 to do more than 100 push-ups in 2 min by doing 106 and I was beaten by two others. I haven't pushed myself to do that since. I've been out of the Navy for over 6 years and have barely done any push-ups since I got out.

Post #667 cool

So I guess 100 pushups might be too many for most of us.

I rarely ever did push-ups, and I'm not going to bother trying and embarrassing myself.

I work at a pizzeria, and one of my jobs is to put away stock when it comes in. The average order we get in has a net weight of about two tons of product--and that's just the flour, cheese, and tomato sauce. On those days, I move a combined total of about just under 5000 pounds, after factoring in product rotation. I'm to the point where I can pick up and throw 54 pounds of flour (two 27-pound sacks bundled together) about half the length of the store (about 25-30 feet), or launch it straight up to within inches of the ceiling (about 10 feet).

After doing five warm-up pushups, then waiting one minute, I was able to do 22 pushups. I'll try to keep up with the workouts, but I can't guarantee anything. Should we have a check-in every Sunday or something, to see how everyone has improved?

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
I'm to the point where I can pick up and throw 54 pounds of flour (two 27-pound sacks bundled together) about half the length of the store (about 25-30 feet), or launch it straight up to within inches of the ceiling (about 10 feet).
I still did more pushups than you. tongue

Originally Posted By: VCH
Originally Posted By: Arch-Mage Solberg

Post #667 cool

So I guess 100 pushups might be too many for most of us.
Well, 100 in two minutes would be.

The actual goal or exercise type doesn't matter; I just want people sweating the same time I am, so they can Internet-shame me whenever I stop. :-P

Originally Posted By: The Ratt
After doing five warm-up pushups, then waiting one minute, I was able to do 22 pushups. I'll try to keep up with the workouts, but I can't guarantee anything. Should we have a check-in every Sunday or something, to see how everyone has improved?
I was thinking a check-in every M/W/F, but maybe we should do it just once a week so we don't spam up the boards.

Also, I just realized I didn't warm up at all before my 19, so maybe my score could have been better. Ah, what the heck, this way I get to start at the beginning.

Running is a much better path to health than any single exercise, with perhaps the exception of pushups—weak abs = bad back often enough.

I don't know about that. I've heard wonderful things about the health benefits of swimming, since it works out one's entire body at once.

The most important thing about this community exercise program is to continue it after reaching "the goal" of one hundred push-ups. Exercise without maintenance is meaningless.

... Sy, I think Dinti will be having quite a work out but it will be from running away. tongue

As for the program, I have been meaning to find something to get back into. Use to go to the gym and quite enjoyed it. Use to practice kuykido with the boys till my kneecap tried to dislocate on a jump switch.. stupid old injury. I've been feeling (and seeing) the effects of inactivity so I'm in. Being a year out of practice from formal push-ups I only made it to 5. frown

I wonder how many sit-ups I can manage...

Originally Posted By: Jewels in Black
... Sy, I think Dinti will be having quite a work out but it will be from running away. tongue

As for the program, I have been meaning to find something to get back into. Use to go to the gym and quite enjoyed it. Use to practice kuykido with the boys till my kneecap tried to dislocate on a jump switch.. stupid old injury. I've been feeling (and seeing) the effects of inactivity so I'm in. Being a year out of practice from formal push-ups I only made it to 5.

If you're having knee troubles, I'd recommend biking. I used to run a lot, but since my mid 30's it's just been too much stress on my knees and legs, so I usually bike now. Haven't had any serious problems with them since I started, and an hour or two a day on a bike goes a long way towards keeping you active.

Yeah, sure, maybe after I'm done with my classes and my kids have gone off to college and I quit 3 of my 4 jobs I'll have an hour or two a day available for biking. Maybe. tongue

Yeah, yeah. I know. If its important to me I'll make the time but lets start with this 30 min/week thing and work from there, eh?

ps. At the gym, the recumbent bike was one of my favorite exercises, second only to the crunch machine. Man I miss the Y...

Originally Posted By: The Ratt
I was thinking a check-in every M/W/F, but maybe we should do it just once a week so we don't spam up the boards.
Eh, I don't think it'd be a terrible crime to do a M/W/F check-in. Think of it as healthy spam, if you want to ease your conscience. tongue

Speaking of which, just completed the Week 1 Day 1 sets, sort of. I was only working at about 84% of good form; my abdominals keep wanting to push my body away from the ground, and I'm not used to balancing on my toes like that, meaning my back end has a tendency to buckle and send my front end toppling to the ground. Hopefully that's something that'll improve as time goes on. But I managed to eke out the 3 min push-ups in set 5.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Originally Posted By: Jewels in Black

As for the program, I have been meaning to find something to get back into. Use to go to the gym and quite enjoyed it. Use to practice kuykido with the boys till my kneecap tried to dislocate on a jump switch.. stupid old injury. I've been feeling (and seeing) the effects of inactivity so I'm in. Being a year out of practice from formal push-ups I only made it to 5.

If you're having knee troubles, I'd recommend biking. I used to run a lot, but since my mid 30's it's just been too much stress on my knees and legs, so I usually bike now. Haven't had any serious problems with them since I started, and an hour or two a day on a bike goes a long way towards keeping you active.

Like any sport, if you're getting hurt you're either pushing yourself too hard or not doing it right. Running should have very minimal impact on your knees, shins and so on if done with good form. But most people never consider that there's more to running than "just doing it"—imagine if pro golfers thought that way. I'm sorry if this came across strong, i'm not picking on you per se.

I started that "couch to 5k" running program like 6 months ago and can highly recommend it. It's structured really well so it's the only exercise program I've ever really stuck with. When I started it running 3 minutes at a time would kill me, but it increases things gradually up to 30 minutes--which, honestly, is about all I can take before I get bored.

I do it 4-5 times a week (depending on how much time I have), but the actual plan only calls for 3 times a week so it's quite manageable, even for lazy people. Plus, I use a treadmill and TIVO shows to watch during it so it's not so bad (I have a pretty short attention span, so my biggest problem with exercise was always just getting bored midway).

Anyhow, it was pretty painful at times (especially mid program once you start running for longer periods), but once you get used to it it's not so bad. There are still days when I feel too exhausted and unmotivated to do it, but I've just learned to force myself as I find that it actually gives you more energy afterwards (that whole endorphin thing really does work).

There's like a million different versions of it, but this is the plan I used:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Like any sport, if you're getting hurt you're either pushing yourself too hard or not doing it right. Running should have very minimal impact on your knees, shins and so on if done with good form. But most people never consider that there's more to running than "just doing it"—imagine if pro golfers thought that way. I'm sorry if this came across strong, i'm not picking on you per se.

I don't think I was overdoing it on the jump switch. The knee cap dislocation was an old injury from years back. I dislocated it multiple times until they put me in a straight leg cast for 6 weeks 10 years ago. Hadn't had any problem with it since then so I wasn't being overly cautions but it was just a jump. Really it was landing on it at just the right angle with just the right amount of tension in my outer thigh muscles that popped it to the side a bit again. So, yeah, no high impact exercises for me without my knee brace on now. I did keep going to at least earn my next belt up at the same time as the boys. That's as far as I'll go, though. While I enjoy the forms and technique, I loathe sparring and grappling. The front and rear mounting I can handle, but the chest to chest pinning was just a bit more than I could take. wink

Anyways. Did my reps, managed fine but wound up doing 9 during the max out which makes me think either I'm doing it wrong or all I needed was a little warm up. Either way, I hope it will gain me back some strength. Did 20 crunches and 20 sit-ups too just for the fun of it. /internet peer pressure

Well, this Internet peer pressure thing is definitely effective. I was busy all day, and already partially sore from throwing a little too hard in disc golf. However, the social pressure from this group, as well as my own intrinsic motivation to try and stay healthy, meant that I began my sets for the day. Fortunately, this exercise program has the practicality of being short and simple, so it was far less taxing than I figured it would be, in terms of time.

Yeah, I want to, but no push-ups today. The way the program's set up, there's supposed to be a day of rest between each set of sets. Unfortunately, yesterday was about as far from restful as one can get, and involved a lot of heavy pulling and lifting. My muscles are currently so sore and fatigued that even mundane tasks I normally perform without a thought are giving me a bit of trouble today, and there's not a snowball's chance in hell that I'd be able to complete today's sets.

So... yeah, pushing it back to tomorrow, when I'll hopefully be feeling quite a bit better.

ACHIEVEMENT GET: Week 1, Day Two, Column Three

It's funny how, each time I max out, it's a different muscle group that fails me. My pecs were sore after the initial test, but it was my triceps after Day One, and was getting bad form during my last set due to my abs. What's going to fail next, I wonder?

EDIT: Also, I'm donating blood tomorrow, but things should be healed by Friday. I rebleed easily though, so I dunno...

So, week 1 is done. I doubled the minumum on the last one, though I probably shouldn't have. On the other hand, even after just a week I think that they're becoming noticably easier, both in terms of maintaining the right form, and in actually doing the blasted things.

I'm going to have to start Week 1 over come Monday. Real life threw everything including the kitchen sink (and a 13-hour black-out) at me, and I had neither the time or the energy most days to do it. And when I attempted Day 2 today, I was having an ungodly time maintaining good form, to the point that I was having to repeat and start sets over and wound up unable to complete the final set. frown

ACHIEVEMENT GET: Week 1, Day Three, Column Three

Right there with you. I'm impressed by how much I've improved already, especially my form.

On off days, I've decided to do a similar routine with sit-ups. Core muscles are important, too, after all, and it keeps my mind in the habit of making time for exercise.

I'm still having trouble getting more than a couple beyond the minimum when I max out, but I'm also finding I'm less tired during and after the exercises. I don't think my form's changed, though; it seems the longer rest times have everything to do with it.

I was considering doing exercises during off-days as well -- sit-ups as well, actually, since I'm thinking of trying for the 200 sit-ups challenge next because I'm crazy like that. But is exercising every day of the week going to affect my ability to exercise on the on-days as well? What do the resident exercise experts think?