Modding Geneforge 5, Can it Happen?[G5]

First? Bah. I am in my 1900's. Anywho, there are plenty of skilled modders out there. Apperently nightwatcher is one of them. There are a few more on our site though. Are you wishing how to know how to mod a Geneforge game?

EDIT: WHAMO! 1900 POSTS! YEAH! EPIC WIN! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Alright, thats enough.

Welcome, Doubleclick.

The Geneforge games can be modded to a certain extent. Graphics can be switched around and scripts can be edited to do a variety of things: create items, give your character new stats, and so on. Anything within the game itself (terrain, creations you can make, etc.) cannot be edited. Any sort of modding is unsupported by Spiderweb Software and often buggy, so be sure to back up your files before you try anything.

If you have any sort of experience with programming or modding of other games, you'll probably be able to understand Geneforge's scripts easily enough. If you don't have any experience, it's probably going to be hard to understand.

The search feature is a bit hard to use. Make sure you are using the advanced search so you just adjust the dates you are searching for; the default time is just a few months and so hardly ever turns up anything of use, especially in an older game. Make sure you are searching in the other Geneforge forum as well; some of the information about modding other Geneforge games is also relevant to modding Geneforge 5.

Dikiyoba suspects that certain members have long signatures because most people who are annoyed by long signatures decided to block their ability to see signatures altogether in their preferences.

I don't block signatures. I don't actually really like having one (so I'll go ahead and change it in a moment (goodbye, Dr. Horrible quote!)), but reading the posts of those people who have signatures longer than their actual post is doing wonders for filling out The List.

Anyway, to be slightly useful, I'll add that the BoA docs are a good place to start funnily enough. A lot of the calls are the same and others (like the SDF ones) are easier to work out once you are familiar with Jeff's way of naming things. Worth a glance through, at least, especially if you've no scripting experience at all.

I've never tried script-modding. But you can memory-mod all of the Geneforge games (in real time, while they are running) and be able to shape up any creation you want (guards, rats, shapers, golems etc) which the game doesn't normally permit you to create. You can even transform yourself into a creation.

---

I started off on this forum four years ago with G3 modding. And got dissapointed with the Geneforge modding community (because it doesn't exist). Note that I can only speak for Windows, but it is possible on a Mac also.

Not just my gun. It's also my robe, but something horrible has been done to it!

—Alorael, who can't even remember why he's wearing a robe or giving a subtle slasher smile. But since he now no longer has either Adobe Illustrator or the Illustrator file he couldn't fix it even if he wanted to.

Quote:
—Alorael, who can't even remember why he's wearing a robe

It's not a robe, it's a modified ghillie suit for hiding in cities.

Quote:
or giving a subtle slasher smile.

Why would you ever want any other expression?

If Dikiyoba could pull off a good slasher smile, Dikiyoba would wear it all the time. Unfortunately, it clashes with the hat, and the hat is more important!

Originally Posted By: JamesMighty
Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Alorael
That's not a hat, that's a hood.

James' post wasn't aimed at you. Dikiyoba is the one who wears a hat.

Where? I see no hat in your Avatar

Just as we don't suspect you're actually a floating, sentient handshake in real life, Dikiyoba's avatar is not a true reflection of Dikiyoba in real life.

Right, but the previous discussion had been about what Alorael's avatar was wearing.

Speaking of which, I think the hat thing came up because the weird-colored version of Alorael's avatar had the hood colored differently, and because of where it was cut off, it looked like a hat.

Huh. I guess I read it the same way as Dikiyoba; everybody *was* talking about about Alorael's avatar, and what *that* was wearing, but it switched to Dikiyoba not being able to pull off a slasher smile (like Alo's avatar) because it clashed with Dikiyoba's hat. Then there was some confusion when James said that he wasn't aware Diki wore a hat (because Alo said "that's not a hat, it's a hood" thinking James was talking to HIM), and that there wasn't one in Diki's avatar anyway, and *THAT* was what I was responding too. James talking about the hat that Diki said Diki wore, but that wasn't in Diki's avatar.

Sheesh. Lets all just stop talking about avatars. tongue

Yeah, I am doing a series of avatars based on puns of Pokemon and member's names. So, I'm getting a Pokemon, sticking a users name into it, and making an avatar based off that. I'm trying to do it daily, but I've had problems with that over this weekend, since my avatar images are on my computer and I've had limited access to that.

I am a fairly normal lookin person in real life, I'm sorry to say.

Originally Posted By: !Pinkie Pie
Is that Alorael's gun?

RETURN IT AT ONCE! HE'S HIPED UP ON SKRIBBANE! WHO KNOWS WHAT HE WILL DO?

Is is what I really think it is?

TURN YOUR CAPS OFF NEXT TIME! I'VE JUST LOST MY SANITY! WHO KNOWS WHAT I'VE JUST DONE?!
-----------
alorael_no.png
-----------
-Nightwatcher

Originally Posted By: Tyrangela
Yeah, I am doing a series of avatars based on puns of Pokemon and member's names. So, I'm getting a Pokemon, sticking a users name into it, and making an avatar based off that. I'm trying to do it daily, but I've had problems with that over this weekend, since my avatar images are on my computer and I've had limited access to that.

I am a fairly normal lookin person in real life, I'm sorry to say.

Have you done Pikachu?