Geneforge 3 is Luxury!

I started the series with Geneforge 4 and then went back and played GF1 and GF2. By the end of GF2 I was ready to scream due to the interface and inventory system. I had forgetten how pampering the later games were. Graphics are sharper, spell effects are great, the inventory is fantastic. GF3 is a shocking improvement in the interface.

I do however miss the stats window. Is there a way to enable it? I realize there are some short lived stats on the screen but I want to see my % to hit and browse the stats like the prior games?

One tip: due to some minor mechanics shifts, G3 is the Geneforge game where you get the MOST benefit out of keeping your creations alive and allowing them to level up.

Also, magic creations dominate the table in G3. Vlish especially, and Artila and Gazers, beat out the other creation types by a longshot.

I suppose I'm at a crossroads of sorts. I could buy 2 points in Magic shaping to create some Vlish or just wait it out for some Dryaks, putting points into melee and missle.

I have 15 points in queue. It will take 7 I think to get to Vlish. The opportunity cost is 10% melee or missle or 5% each (to hit + damage).

Thoughts?

Vlish. Get Vlish and keep them the rest of the game. An army of Vlish can take everything in this game. Also, if you're playing a Shaper, you probably shouldn't bother training melee skill at all. Missile can be helpful for letting you support your creations, but I'd say pour everything you've got right now into Magic Shaping and then get some Vlish.

I'm a Guardian. I've got roughly an equal mix of melee and missle and enough essence to support 4 Fyora with a few point in int, strength and endurance plus a few rounds of war blessing.

In tough battles I lose most if not all my creations. So the question is.... melee/missle and disposable cheap creations (fyora) or switch to Vlish knowing I'm weakening melee/missle???

I played through G3 once as a Guardian with Vlish buddies. Vlish are worth it, trust me. Put all the points you've got right now in to Magic shaping, get a posse of Vlish, and then keep them the rest of the game.

I would emphatically recommend NOT trying to boost both Missile and Melee. Choose one or the other and focus solely on that. You'll be a lot more effective that way. Either one is completely viable as a way of doing damage all the way through the endgame.

I just came off of G2 as a Shaper with a Vlish posse so I hear what you are saying.

I was hoping to do something different, but the game is getting pretty tough. Do you think I can go the distance on a 70/30 melee/missle with fire shaping? I'll halt investment in missle to end up 70/80% melee. Mass Energize later in the game?

My G4 Warrior went the distance with 3 Cryodrayks, Mass Energize and melee. However, the Warrior appears to be more powerful than the Guardian...

Originally Posted By: !A PoNy attempting to be Alorael
Remember, try Geneforge 5. It rules.

...We truly have different choices, FOr my opinion, Geneforge 3 rules, despite the graphics, the story is what I mostly care about. But GF5 is also, good. The factions, better graphics. But it lacks more story...
---------
..., Nightwatcher
---------
Oh yeah, and I sent you a message...

I would recommend focusing EXCLUSIVELY from now on on either Melee or Missile for your offensive strategy. Dividing your character's skill points between the two is a waste. There is no need for both. You just need one to be as powerful as possible.

You can certainly make it through the game if you concentrate on Fire shaping. However, you probably need to be able to shape Drayks for good fire shaping, and it takes longer to get to them than to get Vlish. You might you have to flounder along with weaklings like Cryoa and Fyoras for a while. The hintbook says there is a Create Drayk canister stashed in Dhonal's Inner Keep, so you might want to seek that out as soon as possible.

Cryoas are also doable -- they are much better than fyoras. However, you would need to keep them around and level them, and it may be too late if you've already levelled up through two islands.

Details:

http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=62244#Post62244

I made the switch to Vlish. The Cryoas are way too expensive to be worthwhile as far as I can see so there is no viable ranged creation at this point in the game other than Vlish. I guess Jeff rebalanced for GF4, since I had a Warrior that went Fyora, Cryora, Dryak, Cryodryak by end game - successfully.

Certain undead, like shades, take zero damage from ice attacks. Randomizer is correct that you could melee them, but that put you at a substantial disadvantage -- both since your damage output would be much lower than usual, and because it made it harder to avoid the dangerous stunning melee attack used by most undead. Mental resistance was eventually a problem for cryoas, but that was also true of drayks and cryodrayks; it was only the 4th and 5th tier creations with built-in mental resistance.

My Vlish have leveled up a bit and I picked up Speed. I'm pretty close to Mass Energize which will make short work of most enemies. My Guardian is tanking pretty well and with Speed I can hit and run now, drawing in the victims with a well placed Venom thorn, backing off and greeting arrivals with my new Fire blade augmented with Acid. Quick Action + Speed + Vlish Stun = bliss!