Just started my first Geneforge game!

I've been playing the Avernum games (or was it Exile?) since before Avernum 4 was released. But it was only until recently, with Avadon: The Black Fortress that I managed to finish a Spiderweb Software game. Then it was on to Avernum: Escape from the Pit, which took me almost two months to play through.

Seeing that the remake of Avernum 2 isn't even announced yet, I had to decide between Nethergate: Resurrection and the first Geneforge to feed my Spiderweb game addiction. Nethergate felt too much like Avadon and Avernum put together, except there were some annoyances due to the older interface so I put that on hold and tried Geneforge.

Now Geneforge was the last of Spiderweb Software's games that interested me because of the sci-fi aspect. But when I tried it last night, it blew my mind.

It's just pure genius how elements of previous Spiderweb Software games--item icons, character stats, even the rules--were all recycled here and yet the whole thing felt so different. The graphics--mostly the creature animations--were also surprisingly good. I think they're even better animated than both Avernum and Avadon.

The story pulled me right in, as my character, Random the Apprentice Guardian got shipwrecked and starts on a journey that will no doubt prove to be fateful and epic before everything is through. (Currently, he just reached Eltrikelhrah's Keep with his digimonfyora, Yzell, in tow.)

Now I can actually see why people have a lot of love for the Geneforge series. I'm ashamed I held off till now to try it.

Originally Posted By: dmpunks
But when I tried it last night, it blew my mind.

It was this way for me as well. Some games took some time to grow on me, like the Europa Universalis series, LotRO or Left 4 Dead. With Geneforge it was no period of growth needed. 30 minutes after I fired up the demo, I had bought everything Geneforge Steam had to offer. I can't remember off the top of my head whether or not this has happened with other game series.

Originally Posted By: !Trenton.
Did...Did you have the crossed out word "Digimon" in there?

Maybe. laugh

Been playing nothing but Geneforge (well I did sneak in a few minutes of A Valley Without Wind) during my free time the past two days: my Awakened Guardian is now nearing Kazg, dragging his army of two (a Cryoas and a Fyora) along. He's run into two other humans (the sentries at Northbridge which he managed to bluff by namedropping their leader's name) and he's heard of something called the Geneforge from some sage in the swamp.

I haven't decided how to approach the Taker Town yet, but I'm favoring the Kazg Plains approach more than going through the Ruins.

Can't wait to see more of Sucia Island!

Lol. Pilipino kairn pala...

------------

I recommend Geneforge saga for anyone. The story is intense, tragic and awesome. Anyway, how to beat Geneforge 1...

Click to reveal..
Destroy the Geneforge

------------

Also, it blew up my mind when I first played it, It was almost similar to Shadowflare, so I became addicted to it...

------------

-Nightwatcher

Originally Posted By: Rehctawthgin's Insanity

Why was that struck out?

Yes, I am. Glad to meet another Pinoy who's a Geneforge fan. Are you in the country?

Try Geneforge 5. It is much better.

Oh, I will, !Trenton. I plan to go through the entire saga in order, that's why I started with the first. (Hopefully, the rest of the Avernum remakes--or at least the second--are out by the time I'm done :D)

Why was that struck out?

Yes, I am. Glad to meet another Pinoy who's a Geneforge fan. Are you in the country?

Try Geneforge 5. It is much better.

Oh, I will, !Trenton. I plan to go through the entire saga in order, that's why I started with the first. (Hopefully, the rest of the Avernum remakes--or at least the second--are out by the time I'm done :D)

Argh. Sorry about that blush

I blame my internet connection! rolleyes

Meanwhile, on Sucia Island...

Random the Awakened Guardian has managed to reach the town of Kazg without any fighting. These Takers are haters, but there's something admirable in their struggle that almost makes Random want to support them. Almost. Anyway, back to poking around Takertown...grin

Oh we're not. We are OFWs in Saudi...
--------
Takers SuCk!!! Never join them, in the later part, they will execute you mercilessly!!!
--------

Ahh. My dad works there, too.

Yeah, Takers do suck. Just exterminated a cult in East Kazg, and I think the this game is playing with me.

I'm pretty sure I've found and have been wearing a Chilling Band (+25% Fire Resist) all this time. I've even stashed the Static Band (+25% Energy Resist) I found in favor of the poison resistance. So I was surprised when I found the Ring of the Eye (+50% Mind Effect Resist., +25% Creation Mind Effect Resist.) on the cultists' remains and thought about replacing my Chilling Band with it... then I found out I was not even wearing any magic ring at all.

I don't know if I sold it. I've checked the shops I frequent and haven't found it (it might have been overwritten though and at least one shop doesn't add sold items to their list). I even tried loading my previous saved games--no sign of it; I even have a save of the game where the Static Band was in my inventory (I assume I just found it) but I wasn't wearing the Chilling Band then either.

It's not really a big deal but it just weirded me out. I really do remember finding and equipping one, because it was the first magic ring I found...

Why would I even imagine finding that ring?

EDIT: Checked a walkthrough and found out a Chilling Band can be found in Northbridge as well as dropped (randomly) by a Thorny Woods bandit. Must have sold it then (in the case of Northbridge) or must have died and reloaded (if it was a bandit drop). Time to stop playing while sleepy. grin

EDIT 2: So I checked Northbridge again and found out that I haven't explored the southeast corner of the map where I found the Chilling Band. The mystery is finally solved: I found it and equipped it, then died to the mines in the Sholai camp in the northeast, reloaded, remembered to keep away from the mines while triggering them with the brown spores but forgot to return to the Chilling Band's location. Man, I really need to stop playing this during the late hours. grin

Originally Posted By: !A PoNy attempting to be Alorael
Really? Adventure time?

Why? Don't you know what time it is? grin
Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Wait until you head north and find out why the Takers hate Shapers so much.

The furthest north I'm currently at is the Power Station, which I just remembered I have the mind nutrients to revive the mind there and hopefully learn and/or gain something useful.

Random got annoyed with the mines in the northeast of Sucia (got as far as the Mine Core), and decided to explore elsewhere. He's currently in the Western Wastes, Clawbugs and ghosts being less trouble to handle than pylons, although those poison stings are a real resource sink (~3 curing pods to cure!) even with an ivory ring equipped.

He's done a good job so far, hitting Level 13 in the Western Wastes, with 2 spawners destroyed. I'm sure there's at least one more, since the Clawbugs still keep coming. He's itching to find out the effectiveness of 2 fresh Cryoas (they're faster than Vlish and the Terror Vlish is still a bit pricey).

Randomizer, your item list helped a lot when I played through Avernum: Escape from the Pit (particularly the skill level suggestions). Did you write anything like that for Geneforge?

So Random just had a harrowing run through the Power Core, all suited up in energy-resistant gear. He had had to absorb his creations before entering the area, since they won't survive the energy drains.

The Power Core was manageable, as long as Random didn't get careless. The spirits where easily fended off (they usually ran away with one shot of an Acid Baton, and died offscreen a few rounds later). That central power chamber that deals increased energy drains did kill him more than a few times (got careless during the excitement of finding the "mercurial" boots--although -2 Strength might be too much penalty). And the two Reaper Turrets in the NW room required precise positioning and judicious use of Speed Pods, but Random managed to destroy them.

Anyway, Random seemed to have found only three Focusing Stones in the Power Core. Mind Azzo's quest requires four, so I'm wondering if I missed something in the area? (I know you could bargain the required crystals to only three with enough Leadership, but I'm curious about this.)

Anyone?

EDIT: Never mind. I found the fourth Focusing Stone guarded by those pesky fire floors and a pair of turrets. Though I have already bullied Azzo to make do with three and looted the rooms he opened. grin

Yes play them in sequence. Some NPC's span games and it's good for the story arcs. You know that you lose your creation levels when you absorb right? I'm doing the "create and absorb on demand" style with my Guardian in GF3 but my leveled up Vlish in GF2 were very effective. Later in the game I added a new Vlish and he was a joke compared to the older ones I had kept alive for ~15 levels or so. It was a huge difference.

Originally Posted By: ToddMcF2002
You know that you lose your creation levels when you absorb right? I'm doing the "create and absorb on demand" style with my Guardian in GF3 but my leveled up Vlish in GF2 were very effective.

Yeah. Apparently, leveling up creations was improved in the later installments so that keeping them as opposing to creating on demand was a better option.