Blades of Geneforge?[G5]

adc.

You know... It would be really awesome to make custom creations and to command them. Or even make a scenario about a new "creation" project. I'm sure anyone already have thought of this (maybe even Jeff)... But why wasn't it created?

-------------

Or... Maybe a new Geneforge series? Where the Shapers can finally make the rebels pay?

-------------

-Something new, Nightwatcher

I think BoA was just a fail because its just a ripoff of BoE. Why have two "create Scenarios" Game about the SAME game, with different graphics and names?

Now BoG would be totally original. The scenarios would be awesome, the creations too. To mess with attacks, and forts, and all of that would be sure to be a huge success.

Originally Posted By: !FlUtTeRrAgE
I think BoA was just a fail because its just a ripoff of BoE. Why have two "create Scenarios" Game about the SAME game, with different graphics and names?
...Have you even ever played BoE and BoA? Or any Exile and any Original Avernum? They may share the same plots and premises, but the two engines are wildly different.

There were a lot of different reasons for BoA falling flat. It's learning curve and complexity is probably one of the bigger ones (although it's also likely the reason why BoA wasn't inundated with as many crappy scenarios as BoE). And seeing as how a Blades of Geneforge game would have an even higher learning curve, odds are BoG would wind up dying right out of the gate.

Originally Posted By: !FlUtTeRrAgE

Now BoG would be totally original. The scenarios would be awesome, the creations too. To mess with attacks, and forts, and all of that would be sure to be a huge success.

If it could be done well, it would be a great game and probably even moderately successful. However, to do it well, Jeff would have to invest a lot more time into the game than he normally does with a game, meaning we get a later production date. Even considering that the game would have some guaranteed sales from hardcore fans, it wouldn't be the best for bringing in new costumers. I say this because, if he did BOG like he did BOX, it would involve learning some sort of GeneforgeScript, with a high learning curve. If he took the time to smooth out the learning curve, it would take him a lot longer to produce.

At that point, the opportunity cost is too high. He's taking away from Avadon 2, the next Avernum remake, or whatever happens to be the case that would bring in more fans. If he makes a game with a steep learning curve, he would have a net loss in sales comparatively by selling to the hardcore fans - who he would buy his games no matter what. If he makes a game with a lower learning curve, it will take far longer and cut even more into other games. And there's no guarantee that the extra work would be worth it.

Looking at the situation economically, there really is no incentive for Jeff to produce a Blades of Geneforge-style game. I even doubt he'll remake BOX. Sorry.

• 1 year later...

Presumably Jeff must have an Editor for every game he makes, unless he has a 4-digit IQ and does not need one.

All he has to do is release the Editor, and maybe its source code too. Jeff could release the Editor as a companion to Geneforge 5. It would use the calls and features of G5.

Documentation is apparently not his thing, we could build upon his notes.

Alint would need to be updated for the Geneforge world, that is presumably not too hard. I just looked at a G4 script, it was quite intelligible to anyone familiar with BoA.

Actual Blades of Geneforge scenarios would not need to be created he could just translate the four Spiderweb BoA scenarios. If he was really pressed for time he could just skip the scenarios and let us do them.

Wow, necromancy!

I've thought the same thing. I suspect that Jeff's working editor is really bare-bones and requires coding alongside editing. Other problems include needing to introduce a scenario mechanism instead of just a game and a way to protect the games he's made from the editor. In the end I think he'd end up with a fair amount of work to create a powerful, ugly product that would be beloved by a few fans and not earn back the time and effort he'd have to spend getting it in release condition even if that condition were rough.

—Alorael, who does think it's a shame. Maybe if Shadowrun Returns is a smashing success on the power of its editor Jeff will rethink his policy.

Jeff's editor while it does check for script errors when the scenario is played, doesn't do a lot of bug catching. He seems to just let them happen when using the editor and then goes back and fixes them one by one when someone spots them. Users will become very frustrated when their scenarios don't work let alone the players that won't be able to complete them.

Hey Ishad, not only did you revive two old threads, you did so with exactly the same post (see here"]http://spiderwebforu...ntry261212]here[/url]). Obviously you've been around for a while and know our rules about spam, so please consider this an official warning from a moderator of these boards, and please try to be more thoughtful when posting in future.

Thanks.

(As Sylae locked the other necro'd topic, I'll close this one too!_

Clowcard_use.jpg