Favorite SpiderwebSoftware Moment?

Mod.

In either A1 or A2, my party was going into a fortress run by giants, with a significant chunk of their HP/SP already gone. As the party walked into the entrance, a message popped up saying that they walked into a trap and fell down a trapdoor. Instead of the usual "1 - OK" at the bottom, there was "1 - Oops."

I didn't want to overwrite my save at this point, because there was a fair chance I wouldn't be able to fight my way out (I did), so I made a new save: 'oops.sav'.

Ever since then, I've used 'oops.sav' as my backup save. Whenever things look grim, or whenever I want to start doing something stupid without clobbering my usual save, I use 'oops.sav'.

And know you know where this comes from.

Off the top of my head, in G4 or G5, there's a Drakon hiding in a hard to get through crypt, and once you get through the final crypt boss but before you get to the drakon there are some rats you can talk to. The dialog box that pops of says "The rat says, 'squeak.' "

There are a few other humorous lines in the games that I've enjoyed, and one particular spot where you can surrender to bandits.

As far as plots or mechanics go, in G4 I really enjoyed the Shaper Monarch section, forming a team with other npc's was a unique experience.

Originally Posted By: The Ratt
Off the top of my head, in G4 or G5, there's a Drakon hiding in a hard to get through crypt, and once you get through the final crypt boss but before you get to the drakon there are some rats you can talk to. The dialog box that pops of says "The rat says, 'squeak.' "

There are a few other humorous lines in the games that I've enjoyed, and one particular spot where you can surrender to bandits.

I just checked. It was Travalds crypt in the rebel lands of game 5. The bandits are also in geneforge 5, to the southwest of the rebel lands.

E/A2, chapter 2. Dark Waters is my favorite moment(s) of being lost in the wilderness, alone, in any game.

—Alorael, who didn't think too hard or hedge nearly enough about that statement. He'll just let it stand. It's a fantastic interlude in an otherwise very different game in a very different series.

If not the Ornotha Ziggurat, then probably that first moment I reached the Northern Isles in either Exile 1 or 2 - I forget which came first.

That point always felt the most epic to me - here you've reached the outskirts of human experience, beyond the frontier. Here the vast and, in my experience at the time, unmatched size of Avernum came into full, almost vertigo inducing view. It was a harrowing sense of sheer distance I'm not sure I've ever felt again, but has always stuck with me.

Easily, and by far Exile III.

Okay... the original nethergate holds a special place in my heart as well. . . but my reasons for picking E3 are simple -- The best spell list ever present in any spiderweb software game, an enormous and engaging outdoor environment which was not toned down one bit in terms of difficulty with much more random content than I remember seeing in games since.

I see it as the culmination of the mastery which was budding in Exile 1 & 2

Would this include forum stuff? Because if so, the AIMhack dice.

Fire pistol at enemy: 1

Heal ally: 1 (yay for the not killing on fumble perk)

Heal useless NPC: 20

Tinker with party's only working vehicle: 1

Stop Ben from bleeding out: 1

Angrily kicking surrendered NPC in face: 20

You can't tell me those dice weren't out to get me. I think I rolled a 20 once when it really mattered.

Originally Posted By: Homage
Would this include forum stuff? Because if so, the AIMhack dice. (snip)

The AIMHack dice are fickle mistresses, to be sure, but they do occasionally come through on meaningful roles. They're just buried amongst the child-killing and wish-backfiring fumbles. tongue

I play something like that on a different forum (but instead using Chatango.com), and one of the players kicked a guy in the nuts with a natural 20. Another player tried to shoot the sky and MISSED tongue

On Spiderweb, though, my favorites are GF4, AV3, and the various stories like The Insidious Infiltrator on the GF series thead.

For me, it's got to be X3's beginning. I'm normally a Geneforge fanboy. However, the excitement of being picked out as national celebrities by Avernum, seeing the Surface in all its wide continental beauty, and having all the diplomatic pressures and anxieties of maybe going to war with the Empire, maybe working through espionage to secure Avernum's position, maybe negotiating peaceful interactions was all too exciting.

Starting off as important somebodies is something that Jeff occasionally does, but nowhere did he do it as well as in X3. And the sense of exploration from navigating Valorim, a continent controlled by a very strong, potentially hostile empire was exhilarating.

Hmm...a few favorite moments off the top of my head:

The finale of the Cotra mission in A6

Arena battle against the slith chieftain in Formello in A6

Solberg's mission in A6

I love N:R for its atmosphere and plot, and appreciate some great things about G1 / G2 / A:EFTP, but I must give A6 credit for having the most exciting set-piece battles or scripted events I've seen in Jeff's games.