What's next?

adc.

Idk if theres a post like this or none. But what could be the next game? Is it a continuation of Avadon? Or a different Geneforge series(e.g. Blades of Avernum)?

Originally Posted By: spiderwebsoftware.com
What Are We Working On Now? -Now that our frenzy of development and marketing is finally dying down, we're going to catch up on some rest. Then we will start putting in serious time on our next all-new game. We don't want to spoil any secrets, but its name might rhyme with Shmavadon.

I think this is either outdated or the next is still Avadon

Originally Posted By: Avadon
Assuming that Spiderweb continues this Avadon and Avernum release tango, is it safe to say that we should see Avernum 6 in 2022, assuming Avadon has five sequels. In which case we could expect to see Avernum remade in 2023 with newer tech and expanded storylines. smile

Please, no. As much as the games are fun and I'm sure it'd sell well, seeing a fourth incarnation of the series with exactly the same main plotlines and events would end up just a lil' dull for anyone who'd played through the first three (at least especially insofar as E/A1-3).

Don't worry - Jeff will probably turn his attention away from Avernum for a little while once A1-3 have been remade, though it'll likely only be because he needs to update the Geneforge games. tongue

And there are still new games coming out, so it's not like there's nothing completely new to play.

Originally Posted By: MMXPERT
GEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFOOOOOOORRRRRGGGGEEEEE

Y U NO GET UPDATE!?!?!

Because they're still relatively new, and, more importantly, still work on newer computers. Avernum 1 (in particular) is based on an engine SW no longer uses, had a fairly rubbish UI compared to later games (no quest journal for one), and did not run on newer Macintosh computers.

Geneforge is likely to see an update at some point, but probably not until Jeff is pushed into doing so because his game no longer works.

Edit: Also, memes are great, but so is using correct English, including good grammar, and each have their own place. It's great you're so enthusiastic about these games, but reading post after post of memeyness is a little tiring after a while.

Assuming that Spiderweb continues this Avadon and Avernum release tango, is it safe to say that we should see Avernum 6 in 2022, assuming Avadon has five sequels. In which case we could expect to see Avernum remade in 2023 with newer tech and expanded storylines. smile
Jeff did a podcast a few days ago and stated that there will be 3 Avadons. We'll be seeing Avadon: The Corruption this year and A2:CS next year.

What is with this Hollywood-esque fascination with trilogies? I feel it sucks.

In a trilogy, a story is cut up meaninglessly into three parts.

Agamedone 1: Introducing the the scenario.

Agamedone 2: Needless filler that does not really advance the scenario.

Agamedone 3: Rushed ending to the trilogy that does not really tie up any loose ends because hey, it is the end of the trilogy and the suckers who will buy will buy it no matter what.

Source: Mass Effect series.

I would really rather it be that each game be developed on its own in the shared universe like what the Ultima games used to do before Richard Garriot sold out.

Then we can have an interesting game no matter where we join the series.

If there was the beginning of a mythological arc in Avadon, I must have missed it, because most of the time I was playing as Avadon's special 007 enforcer thug. heheh

I wanted to link to "The Redundant Man Who Was Redundant," but it's down. Oh well.

Series sell because people get attached to characters and stories. And some stories don't fit in a single unit, be it game, novel, or movie. You can happily play the Mass Effect series starting in the middle; I know people who have. Do you miss some things? Yes. But you can still play them and enjoy the stories.

—Alorael, who has a publicly displayed PDN name. A PDPDNN, if you will.

Originally Posted By: Trenton
I bet you $1,000 its gonna be an RPG game.

No. No. I bet you 1 yen, it's gonna be Star Wars with undead Darth Vader, a Master Yoga evolving into penguins and Emperor Palpatine who turns battle alphas into wookies
--------------
And yeah, I'm excited for the next Avadon. I want a new Keeper!!!
--------------
-Excited, Nightwatcher

Originally Posted By: This Charming aRan
Originally Posted By: Aʀᴀɴ
Off-topic: Is that David Tennant in warpaint in your avatar? =D

It was David Tennant's head, covered in blue woad. on Bob Dylan's body, to be absolutely precise. Tyran gets all kinds of jokes for his pun. tongue

Oh hell... at first I didn't even recognize the twit whose face you've got now. tongue

Agamedone 3: Rushed ending to the trilogy that does not really tie up any loose ends because hey, it is the end of the trilogy and the suckers who will buy will buy it no matter what.

If the first movie/game/book creates a large following, you can cash in with lazy sequels and merchandise, unless you make something so outrageously bad that you're laughed out of Hollywood (e.g The Last Airbender).

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith

If the first movie/game/book creates a large following, you can cash in with lazy sequels and merchandise

Not to mention a prequel trilogy...