Body Armour as Celts

Equip Armour: Failed. Young Celtic warriors didn't wear body armour.

I'm assuming I remain young throughout the game? :p

And that being the case, is there any point at all to keeping the best chain mail I find? Can I recruit Romans in Vanarium? Are they any good?

I haven't been to Vanarium yet, you see - I have not yet been able to bring myself to dare the long darkness of the path of the Ritual of...

Nethergate was there before OS X, and it remains the most expensive Spiderweb game.

The different atmosphere is probably worth it, though. (This is a reference to part 3 of Jeff's The View From Below or whatever the name was.)

Cormac the Druid, the "ancient" wise woman in the creepy corner of Nethergate, the three crones and their dungeon, Pearlblossom. Even the hermits, ffs... There is nothing more valorous than challenging the mainstream!

Reassurances,

-SoW

Actually, all the characters recruited in Vanarium can wear armor. That includes the two Celts, one of whom will join a band of Celts and the other of whom will only join Romans. Go figure.

I agree that the Celts have less need of a fifth character, though. Your only choice is another fighter of some kind, and that fifth character is stuck in the back. With armor, the character will also be slower. That means that fifth character won't get into the battle until your lead bashers have already torn your enemies to pieces, usually.

—Alorael, who was occasionally saved by having a breathing, armored body interposed between certain death from behind and his druids.

Nethergate is still only $15 when purchased with another Spiderweb game. Unless you're going to get an Intel Mac soon and won't be able to run Classic at all, I highly recommend Nethergate now instead of some nebulous superior Nethergate at an indeterminate time in the future.

—Alorael, who need not mention the collector's value of the original Nethergate. Why, some people might be willing to pay $30 for it some day!

• 3 years later...

I realize these posts are from back before N:R came about. Still, here's an interesting (and very frustrating) point on the subject that I noticed the other day:

Playing as Celts, I took Titus Vorenus to the cleaners, and he drops the Polished Breastplate. Knowing that the Celts are unable to wear anything heavier than chain mail, I think, "I can give that to the Roman character that joined my party." Well, it turns out that he can't wear it either. Encumbering as it is, being able to equip the best armor would at least give SOME kind of purpose to that fifth character slot in the Celtic game.

But as for the fifth fighter being way in the back, you could always just have it switch places with another of your fighters.