my creature upgrades look identical (e.g. Fyora, Cryoa)[G5]

Guyal

In Geneforge 5, my upgraded creatures look identical to the basic versions, e.g. Fyora & Cryoa, Thad & Corrupted Thad. Same color and shape. They are indistinguishable. Even the Cryoa's breath attack looks exactly like the Fyora's. Is this normal? It's very confusing. Is there a cure for this?

Thanks! :-)

Note: I am playing the demo, DX version, on Win XP.

Thanks for the reply. Sadly, the tip didn't help.

I turned all the graphic options I could find to their max. No change. Basics and upgrades still look alike.

(they only gained a shadow (which does not distinguish them, of course))

Perhaps the DX version is that crippled? (Sadly, I am not sure I even can install OpenGL on my aging PC... not to mention the problems this might cause...?)

On a hunch, I took the plunge and -- knocking on plenty of wood -- upgraded my display driver (directly from windows updates via the control panel rather than a web browser -- this gave me an even newer version than the DELL site would have let me download). Even though the description for a similar upgrade which I had seen on the web never mentioned OpenGL with so much as a word, it seems that the OpenGL API was either installed or updated by this driver upgrade, because now I can run the OpenGL version of the game.

Result: when I switch to "Draw All" the "Graphic Effects" in the OpenGL version, the colors in the game change. Not only do upgraded creatures now look different from the basics, but people and objects also have different colors now. E.g. different chitin armors now have different colors. Wow! It's like going from a black and white world to one rendered in color.

So, yes, the DX version of Geneforge 5 is seriously crippled (and Windows installation disks don't install OpenGL, you need to update your display driver for that, sheesh). That was the problem. (sadly I have to live with some sluggishness now, since the game only displays colors properly (i.e. meaningfully, so you can tell different things apart!) on the very highest graphics setting -- a truly odd design choice by Spiderweb Software, sort of as if only the deluxe model of a car got breaks installed)

Problem solved ... kind of.

Added note on avoiding sluggishness:

In order to avoid game-breaking sluggishness, I apparently have to start the game in fast graphics mode, even though that turns off the effects which allow useful coloration. Then, when the game is running, I can go into settings and switch to "Draw All". Now the game will show different colors for different things but only be moderately sluggish.

I must do this every time I launch Geneforge 5. If I start the game with the last session's settings instead (the ones I set in-game) on the "don't ask" setting it will be way too sluggish. Weird, but that's how it works.

Originally Posted By: Guyal
Result: when I switch to "Draw All" the "Graphic Effects" in the OpenGL version, the colors in the game change. Not only do upgraded creatures now look different from the basics, but people and objects also have different colors now. E.g. different chitin armors now have different colors. Wow! It's like going from a black and white world to one rendered in color.

Errr... that's what exactly Lilith just said.
---------------
And welcome to spiderweb software, figuring out how and why things look obviously, expectedly same is a GREAT way to lose sanity...