A:EftP - Can't finish 3rd mission (spoilers)

I'm playing on the ipad-- I have the five brooches, The four pieces of password, the ritual from khoth to get through the twoer, and i have completed the first two missions. I have gotten past the two towers, but when I get to the point where Erika is suppose to send me off to kill the emperor I just get the "nothing happens your efforts have been in vain" message. I have gone through every dialog option I could for Erika, Aydin, Khoth, and Aydin's partners, as well is the scimitar leader, and nothing has changed.

Any help would appreciated

Erika never teleports over, I just get the message "your travels have been in vain" instead. From what I have read, Erika is supposed to teach me a ritual to summon her, but there is no dialog open for that when I talk to her, she does not acknowledge it at all that I have the brooches, which I take it is the trigger to teach me the ritual.

Could be... And, while I'm not unsympathetic to her anti-Empire plight (I was about to kill the emperor) after about 3 hours of sailing and teleporting around the underworld and rehashing every emperor-related conversation I could remember in the hopes I would trigger the right thing, all with no success, it felt really good to kill her. Had that not debugged the quest somehow, I would have been almost as contented to live with that as my end game.

Click to reveal..
When I play this mission I always omit the fifth brooch because I feel the four brooch ending is the appropriate one smile Why would somebody like Erika Redmark, a high and mighty mage, bother to waste her time and power bringing back these, in her eyes, soldiers of fortune when she no longer has any use for them? Succeed or fail in their assassination attempt, they had already given her what she wanted.

Because the war has only just begun, and while no soldiers in an army are indispensable, Erika has nothing to lose by letting the highly capable ones live a little longer to serve out the war. We have yet to see if she is evil, or simply monomaniacal in her pursuit of the empire's downfall. Either way though, even evil need not be wasteful. Indeed, it could be argued that unwavering pragmatism could itself be a form of evil.

I think Erika would rather save Hawthorne's assassins just because it adds insult to injury. She'd rather not give anyone the satisfaction of torturing and killing the uppity worms who showed up and offed the ruler of the entire world.

—Alorael, who also gets the sense that Erika isn't evil in a petty way. She'd probably rescue the A1 party simply because they did something she likes and she sees fit to reward them for it.

I didn't get the impression that Erika was so blinded by her hatred for the Empire/Emperor that she was becoming it (though I did feel like it was suggested). What makes you think she's so cruel? As far as I'm concerned, she's only done good things for Avernum and there's no law against being doorknob to people.

Letting the Empire get their hands on the, nay, HER assassins would be a victory for them.

Erika, let the Empire have a victory if she can help it? Hah!

Besides, these are the most powerful, successful adventurers Avernum has ever seen up until this point. They're USEFUL. If they can off dragons, demonlords, and the most powerful man in the entire world, who knows what else they can do?

Erika's too smart to just throw away a proven resource like that.

Erika isn't nice. She doesn't particularly care about Avernum, she won't work with the Triad, and she's perfectly capable of bringing the Empire's revenge down on all of Avernum to get her revenge. But she's not cruel, either. Just very focused and unwilling to tolerate anyone else's demands on her time or efforts.

—Alorael, who could imagine Erika pragmatically letting the Empire deal with guys who are known to be powerful enough to be dangerous, prone to killing and looting, and crazy enough to take on Hawthorne. But yes, the uses for such people probably outweighs the risks, especially for someone as risk-prone as Erika.

I wouldn't characterize her as so callous myself - her dialog in E3/A3 made it pretty clear she's deeply pro-Avernum, Empire or no.

She's just extremely driven and sees things from a level few others do. Besides, this time she makes it pretty clear that the Empire's invasion is an inevitability - Assassination or no. By killing Howthorne, she introduces a level of anarchy and chaos into the Empire ranks to hopefully soften them up some.