Is it just me - Graphics comment

I've been playing Geneforge 3 and I was surprised by how good it looks in comparison to the new Avernum. Maybe I'm just seeing things, but it seems to have some sort of lighting engine or something in place which the newer spiderweb games lack. So when you are in dark areas with a light source the light seems to fade into the dark in a more natural way and the shadowed areas look much more realistic. Plus, there is a starker contrast between light and dark so you often have to use a light source in dungeons.

Whereas in Avadon/EFTP it seems like when the lights are on everything is one color, whereas when the lights are off everything is just one shade of grey. You don't even really need to use light sources in Avadon/EFTP as everything is perfectly, uniformly, visible--even in the dark.

Originally Posted By: Juan Carlo

Whereas in Avadon/EFTP it seems like when the lights are on everything is one color, whereas when the lights are off everything is just one shade of grey.

That's what it would be like in the real world. We can see differences in brightness long after we stop seeing colour.

But I think the game just darkens everything, with a transparent black overlay. Realistically it would desaturate the view, but not reduce brightness as much when there's still some light left (such as from faintly glowing mushrooms), because our eyes would adapt to the darkness and we'd effectively just perceive less colour.

Quote:

You don't even really need to use light sources in Avadon/EFTP as everything is perfectly, uniformly, visible--even in the dark.

That's largely a function of your brightness setting.

• 1 month later...

Its not just you. Geneforge 3 on and Avernum 4 on have much brighter palettes and lighting than Avadon/AEFTP. I played and enjoyed Avadon but much prefer the livelier look of the older games, it has an "indie" charm that is lacking in the newer stuff. Jeff seems to like muted browns now. I guess it is more realistic? As a total aside the Eschalon series is also bright like the older Spiderweb stuff.

I thought Avadon's colors were pretty drab, especially in wooded areas, where the trees seemed more brown than green. It was probably the first thing I noticed when I picked up the game- lots of light brown stone and dry forests.

I'd prefer vibrant colors, but it doesn't bother me much. I think it makes Avadon look distinctive. I have yet to play the new A:EFTP so I can't comment on it yet.

Originally Posted By: Juan Carlo
Whereas in Avadon/EFTP it seems like when the lights are on everything is one color, whereas when the lights are off everything is just one shade of grey. You don't even really need to use light sources in Avadon/EFTP as everything is perfectly, uniformly, visible--even in the dark.

Light helps in Avadon so you can see the secret buttons (Example: Avadon dungeon. I was randomly tapping my Kindle until I found a button and realized, they look pretty much the same as the wall.