GeneForge class tweeks.[G5]

Hey, I'm a game designer myself and I thought that...the stat page for GeneForge isn't very balanced. Let's list the pros and cons...

---Pros

-Create a varied character, classes are merely stat boosts and you can create a melee shaper or a magical guardian.

-Gives a feeling of customization and freedom

-Resemblance to DnD spreadsheets

-All customization and fairly balanced

---Cons

-Sacrifice damage output to access basic treasure (Sacrifice precious strength points for mechanics just to find that there's only one hundred coins and a thorn baton on the other side of the door)

-Some classes are unbalanced. The shaper is outrageously powerful, the game revolves around shaping, and therefore the shaper class. The agent class lacks the potential of shaping, and is the weakest.

-You must spend ten points just to assign one point to a single skill. This is not completely balanced, and the Avadon and Avernum: EftP outranks this system.

--------------My Suggestion

Hopefully Jeff is looking at this. Maybe not. However, the Avernum and Avadon systems are vastly superior. For example, they are not usually capped at around twelve points for one skill, they have a forty point cap. This creates more balance within the game, also considering that skills and stats now only cost one point to assign (with the exception of Avadon which still is weird)

So, keep the forty points cap stat system.

Then switch it to a skill tree.

---Pros!

-It's cheaper than a spread sheet. So you don't sacrifice stats for skills.

-It's beginner-friendly. Have you ever been crushed by creations, and found out that the build your using is completely terrible? This solves some of the problems.

-Even in GeneForge 1, these following skills are mostly canonical and very effective (I can't actually test them, i'm only giving an assumption)

-It may seem limiting, but a skill tree was not very restrictive in Avernum's remake.

---Cons!

-Less versatility. You may need to take away some points in mechanics and leadership to attain a certain skill to rack up your damage. (However, I was hoping Jeff could increase the level limit and add a couple of areas, and most of the higher tier skills are mainly luxury. The highest will only be for high damage outputs that are ridiculous)

-IT'S NOT LIKE THE OLD GENEFORGE (If anyone makes this argument, then I have to say, did any African slaves argue about Lincoln's freedom for them? IT'S NOT LIKE SLAVERY. Come on, just open yourselves up. The GeneForge spread sheet was like slavery in my opinion. No offense Jeff)

-----------The Skill Sheets-----------

So the skills could be distributed like this. Akin to Avernum, there will be page for magical and physical skills. However, there will be a page for miscellaneous abilities like Leadership or Mechanics.

These basic skills are the lowest "tier", the following will be suggestive class-only bonus skills.

---Shaper - These skills are to enhance the Shaper's shaping skills and become a semi-melee warrior.

-Genetic Mastery - Increases the starting stats of a creation by 1 per level. (I want the Shaper to be item-independent, so he can have power without items)

-Shapeforge Blades - Increases the shaper's physical attack based on his shaping skills. (This is a small bonus, it's only for if the Shaper needs to get his hands dirty. This prompts a melee-based shaper)

-DNA Consume - This skill will destroy nearby creations at a low chance. Doing this restores your energy, and grants temporary essence.

-Essence Detonate - Sacrifices a creation to deal damage to nearby enemies.

-Energy Lash - Fires a cone of essence that deal massive damage. Magic resistance and physical resistances are lowered.

---Guardian - These skills are based around the Guardian being a DPS and tank. And bashing creations.

-Conviction - Increases the Guardian's HP and Resistances

-Protectorate's Blessing - Increases the Guardian's physical defense by 5% when using a shield (This is to lessen the instances of a Guardian dual wielding, if it should be implemented)

-Block Breaker - Cuts resistances of a enemy by 30% at skill cap for two turns.

-Crippling Strike - Guardian's attacks have a 20% chance to lower resistances and slow the enemy.

-Adrenaline Rush - This skill will send a Guardian in a mad charge. Unlike the Adrenaline Rush from Avernum, the Guardian can move 8 spaces with this skill. Enemies cannot slow you in this state.

---Agent - These skills were created to enhance the solo capabilities of the Agent

-Stealth - Temporarily renders the Agent invisible. (Can be used to sneak past enemies, however it is a short duration so some timing is required)

-Essence Disruption - Increases damage done to creations by 35% at max level. (This follows the lore of the Agent, where they are dispatched to hunt down rogues)

-Assassination - Increases damage done to humanoids by 25% at max level. (Again this follows the lore)

-Anatomy - Increases the damage dealt to enemies lower level than you. (Having a level advantage against even a boss will have effect. Or else it can be some different effect, this is a suggestion)

-Cunning - Increases the Agent's magic stats, leadership, mechanics, and intelligence by 1 per level. (This is to basically enhance the Agent's solo power again)

*note: I probably won't think of a tree for Rebel classes, because this is only a suggestion.