Bigger Avernum?

AethirWeb

Ahh Avernum, the good old' pit of fire where we have our adventures slaying demons with a rusty sword, blasting walking lizard men, and brawling with cat people. Over the course of the six games (technically, only four showed the main Avernum map), I have realized how small Avernum actually is.

Don't get me wrong. Avernum 4 and 6 really defined it's enormous proportions and last longer than the first game and second game (surprisingly).

However, weren't the Avernum tunnels suppose to be mainly undiscovered? I'm not sure where I read this, but is there more of Avernum? Perhaps there's another cave system under another continent on the surface. To be honest, I don't even know where the heck the map of Avernum 5 is suppose to be. It hardly matches the main land..err caves of Avernum. So is that it for Avernum? or is there more?

Avernum 5 is supposed to be set in a newly-discovered set of caves to the far north of Avernum proper, so I guess that answers two of your questions.

There probably won't be any more Avernum games in the near future, though. That doesn't mean "not ever", but there are no plans for one, and it seems like Avernum's story is pretty well wrapped up.

There are wild tunnels beyond the control of the Kingdom of Avernum. The areas that are fairly unexplored and uninhabited are west of Fort Draco and Fort Dranlon, west of Fort Remote, and north of Fort Emerald and Fort Spire (excluding the Abyss). That's a lot of territory; you just happen to explore it all over the course of A1.

Of course, there are probably passages you don't take or notice over the course of the games. That's where the area of A5 comes from. A little work probably could have exposed the vahnatai lands, or at least the Dark Waters area, before the vahnatai open it for you. Lost Bahssikava gives one path downward, but there are probably others. They're just not in the game because Jeff's only got so much time.

—Alorael, who thinks only just over half of the total outdoor area in A1 is encompassed by sizable human settlements. All the rest of the space you walk around in? That's the unexplored wilds.