A-EftP - 3 Endings each 40 hours to complete

You can complete all three story lines in a single play-through. They are not mutually exclusive. Depending on your difficulty settings, completionism, and general play style, each subsequent ending adds a couple hours on average. You may be able to complete all three in under 40 hours of game time, it may take you 60 hours to finish just one of them. That's all up to how you do it.

40 hours for each? Hmm... doesn't sound right to me at all.

Perhaps it is the way I played, but I found that all three endings are happening within a few hours of each other.

Upon first hearing about the Scimitar I knew what I wanted to do: get revenge.

So I went forward with that in mind. Then I eventually beat the first of the major quests, then the same day and within a few hours beat the second. Now I'm within a few hours of beating the third.

I'm not playing on Steam so I dunno my total time but it's been a good run, and I have enjoyed it immensely.

The game has three major plotlines. It's not immediately apparent that they are plotlines, or which quests go in which bunch. They also all range from low level quests you'll start on early in the game to the high-level game endings. What's most likely to happen is you'll do the bulk of all three just as part of a regular playthrough, getting loot and experience, and then probably push through the last little bit of each plotline to each ending in a few hours.

In fact, it's probably not accurate to describe the game as having three endings. Instead, it has three major victories to be achieved, and you've successfully completed the game when you've done all three.

—Alorael, whose completely fabricated, top-of-his-head estimate is something like 10-15 hours for each of the major plots and another 10-15, maybe, for the towns, sidequests, and other things that aren't explicitly tied in to one of the big three. But it's also very hard to win if you're running a low-level party, and the best way to get levels is to do quests, and many of the quests are involved in main plots, so even if you only care about one ending you're still going to want to do most of the other plots.

Originally Posted By: (Spike ball) (Rocket ship)

In fact, it's probably not accurate to describe the game as having three endings. Instead, it has three major victories to be achieved, and you've successfully completed the game when you've done all three.

This is really the best way to think of it.

Multiple endings usually means different narratives once the climax of a game has been reached depending on what's done before that - a Geneforge or Avadon.

Avernum... no matter what you do, no matter how you handle things, whatever the case may be, the end result of your party's presence in Avernum is the same. You change Avernum for the better, three history defining acts, and the next game picks up from there.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

For what it's worth, the three endings do take a sizable amount of time if you want to do them all. I did all the quests in the game, leveled to 30, then only had the 3 ending quests left to do. I thought I'd breeze through them but they alone ended up taking me somewhere around 10-12 hours.

Of course I played on torment so your mileage may be different depending on the difficulty level (The Emperor's Assassain quest alone is kind of crazy on torment. It took me a while just to figure out how to get through it, but once you get the trick it becomes easier).

Plus this game is huge. If it's your very first playthrough, you want to do all the quests, level at least to 30, and you aren't using faqs, I can't imagine anyone could finish it in less than 50-60 hours (if not longer).

Maybe I'm wrong. Like I said I played on torment so I can't exactly judge how long it would take on casual or normal.

Originally Posted By: Valdain the King
What a stupid question but well, is each ending a separate storyline for the game meaning that 40 hours for killing the emperor, 40 for surviving, etc. I want to just complete the revenge story but will i have to spend another long time to complete the rest.

No. As others have said, it's confusing to think of it as three endings. They are basically just three seperate quests that you have to complete in order to finish the game (although they could be considered endings, I guess, since two of the three give you the option of ending the game after you complete them. So technically, you could just do one of them and be done with the game if you don't want to play any more. Otherwise you can also do all three).

But they really aren't huge involved storylines that you have to plan for. The entire game is basically leading up to them so you don't really have to wory about which one you want to pursue, or locking any one option out, or anything. Just play the game normally and you'll eventually come to them.