Diablo I, II, III

World of Warcraft

Battlefield (the series)

Quake (the series)

Skyrim

Borderlands

Spiderweb Games (Exile, Avernum)

SimCity

I was thinking the other day how Avernum compares to other games I played in terms of immersion and general fun. Although I refuse to rank my favorites, Spiderwebgames would rank rather high. =) I just wanted to share.

Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns and Ahriman's Gift

Sacrifice

Betrayal at Krondor

Battle Realms

Baldur's Gate 1,2 and ToB

Icewind Dale 1

Hostile Waters

Genforge 1-3

Thief series

Morrowind

Age of Wonders series

Quite a few more would make it on the list, or even replace these, depending on the mood.

Top of my head in no order:

Ogre Battle 64

Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together

Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis

Knights of the Old Republic

Team Fortress 2

Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer

Starcraft

Warcraft 3

Diablo 2 (not anymore, but I played enough of it in my life to put it up here)

Resident Evil 4

Pokemon HG & SS

In no particular order:

Neverwinter Nights

Skyrim

Final Fantasy 9

Nethergate

Age of Empires 2

Diablo 2

Grand Theft Auto 4

Warcraft 2

Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time

GoldenEye

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance

Avernum 2

Fallout New Vegas

Civilization 5

BioShock

God of War 3

Half-Life 2

Portal

Non-Spiderweb:

- Myst (1-4, but only 4 remains unsolved)

- Minecraft

- Ancient Domains of Mystery

- Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

- Battle for Wesnoth

- Age of Empires II

- The Settlers IV

- Escape Velocity: Nova

As for Spiderweb, my favorite non-Blades game is Avernum III. The ones I've played were awesome, though I don't like the engine in A4 much. It's probably shorter to list the SW games I haven't played: Avernum 5-6, Geneforge 4-5, Avadon. (I haven't played past the demo of A4 or any of the Geneforges.)

I'll put up a top 5.

1. Pikmin 2 (I haven't been able to play it in a long time, though...)

2. Avernum 3 (My first, and favorite, SW Game)

3. Total Annihilation (A bit dated, but still awesome. It keeps freezing on my computer, though. I haven't tried its spiritual successor Supreme Commander yet, because I don't think my hardware would survive.)

4. Freelancer (Proof that acceptable breaks from reality exist for a reason.)

5. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Of the Zelda games I've played, this one is my favorite.)

Honorable mentions: Super Mario 64, Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, Pikmin, Rise of Nations, Age of Mythology, Luigi's Mansion (if only for the Boo puns), and probably a half dozen others I'm forgetting.

Super Smash Brothers 64

Myst (Original, not remake)

Final Fantasy IV

Exile 3

Escape Velocity

Escape Velocity: Override

Escape Velocity: Nova

Alex Kidd In Miracle World

Time Splitters 2

Mario Cart 64

Edit:

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Total Annihilation
I love that game! I use to play it on my old dial up with my friend every day. Turned me into a Core believer.

This was harder than I expected it to be (since I couldn't remember what I said last time), but here's what came to mind after I had a little think. I'll add more as I think of them/see other people posting. tongue

In no particular order:

- Sonic the Hedgehog 2

- Mega Man 2

- The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time

- The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past

- Silent Hill (only because I never finished 2, so I'm not sure if it's better, or if everybody in the world is lying to me).

- Final Fantasy VI

- Final Fantasy X

- Portal

- Alex Kidd In Miracle World

- Tomb Raider (though usually if I want to play this game, I'll play TR: Anniversary because I prefer the controls)

- Medievil

- Metal Gear Solid

- Batman: Arkham Asylum

- Nethergate

- Assassin's Creed 2

- NetHack

I'm fairly behind on playing computer games really - part of it is cost, but also time. I've got Borderlands and Batman: Arkham City to play still, and both were highly recommended, so we'll see if they make the list.

Games I'm still fond of:

Computer:

TIE Fighter

King's Quest VI

Morrowind

Nethergate: Resurrection

G1 / G2

A6 / A:EFTP

Knights of the Old Republic

Honorable mentions to Dark Forces, Descent II, and Lords of the Realm II.

Console:

LoZ: Ocarina of Time

Super Smash Bros. (original, Melee, and Brawl)

Metroid Prime (though I found the game too hard and couldn't beat it, it was still awesome)

Super Mario World

LoZ: Link to the Past

Chrono Trigger

Note: I played FF6 and just found it WAY less fun than Chrono Trigger. Am I unique in that regard?

Honorable mention: Perfect Dark (N64)

Handheld:

LoZ: Link's Awakening

LoZ: Minish Cap

LoZ: Oracle of Ages (also Oracle of Seasons, but I liked Ages better)

Pokemon (FireRed and SoulSilver)

Golden Sun (only the first one; the sequals were lacking, IMO, especially the DS one)

Fire Emblem (the first one released over here, for GBA)

Magi Nation

Honorable Mention: Metroid Fusion, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (loved both games, but both were almost too hard for me to finish); also Animal Crossing DS.

I'm probably forgetting something awesome, but that covers a goodly number of my favorites.

I never played that many games, SW is one of my only real sources. Other than Smash Bros, I don't really play console games. As far as computer games, there are a few that I've played over the years that I really enjoy.

Sim City 3000. SC4 sucked.

AoE III - I still get sucked into this for a week or two every so often.

Diablo II - my first real gaming experience, and still my only real multiplayer one.

Diablo III can sort of be on the list. I put probably 6-8 hours into the recent weekend public beta, and I can't wait for the full thing to be released. Spiderweb Party, anyone?

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Note: I played FF6 and just found it WAY less fun than Chrono Trigger. Am I unique in that regard?

No. But how many games are more fun than Chrono Trigger?

That said, FF6 does have a tiny handful of the best characters, and story segments, pretty much ever.

My list, which I think I've posted before and whose obvious biases for genre, era, and platform can't have changed much:

1. 3 in Three (Mac)
2. Jewel of Arabia: Dreamers (Mac)
3. Gladius (GC)
4. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
5. Dungeon Master II (Mac)
6. Magician (NES)
7. Ultima IV (NES)
8. Dragon Warrior II (NES)
9. Pool of Radiance (Mac)
10. Rainbow Silkroad (NES)
11. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (IP)
12. Exile II (Mac)
13. Breath of Fire II (SNES)
14. Final Fantasy III (NES)
15. Final Fantasy IV (SNES)
16. Super Smash Bros. (N64)
17. Shadowrun (SNES)
18. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
19. Super Mario RPG (SNES)
20. Dragon Warrior IV (NES)

Yes, they're in no particular order, and probably with holes from lack of putting a lot of thought in.

Alpha Centauri

Mass Effect (series)

Avernum (series)

Planescape: Torment

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy IX

Baldur's Gate II

Angband

Diablo II

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

—Alorael, who thinks these are the games he's gone back to and replayed... and replayed again. Mass Effect is the exception there; he's only played the first two, once each, but he thinks they've earned their spot there. Interestingly, Baldur's Gate holds up better than, say, KotOR in technical terms: sprites, painted backgrounds, and text stay pretty forever, but polygons look chunky.

I'm not going to sort these, just put them as I think of them.

KotOR

Oblivion

Blades of Exile

Geneforge

SWTOR

Civilization: Call to Power

Lords of Magic

Uplink

Myst

Can't think of any others at the moment. I haven't played any of the old classic-y ones everyone talks about (Baldur's Gate etc,) so I can't say if they'd place or not.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
You know, I'm shocked that I of all people am the one saying this, but you do know that there were games released after the '90's, right?

Hmm. Well, I have one game from this millenium on my list. Two, technically, but one of those is a remake of a 90's game.

For whatever reason, I like the older games better. There are plenty of more recent games that I have really enjoyed; it's just that when it really comes down to it, I have a general preference for more symbolic artwork, two-dimensionality, and bleepier sound, that can only rarely be outgunned by excellent gameplay. Although the sort of gameplay that appeals to me is probably more likely to come about when there aren't opportunities to tie gameplay to precise 3D graphics. The degree to which I prefer the 2D Zeldas to the 3D Zeldas is disproportionate both to my average old game preference and to the average love that Zelda fans give those games.

A representative sample of 20, with system where first played. Lots of retro and pinball sims.

Exile III (Mac)

Escape Velocity (Mac—space classic from Ambrosia)

Marathon (Mac—out-doomed Doom)

Beyond Zork (Mac—a text adventure is still a PC game, correct?)

Crystal Caliburn (Mac—pinball)

Pro Pinball: Timeshock (Mac—pinball)

Devil's Crush (TurboGrafx/PCE—pinball)

Virtual Pinball (PC—many pinball games)

Pinball Arcade (iOS—many pinball games)

Super Breakout (dedicated Atari console)

Enduro (Atari 2600—a racer, one of Activision's many gems for the system)

Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade)

Miner 2049er (Atari 5200—platformer)

Montezuma's Revenge (Atari 5200—platformer)

Space Dungeon (Atari 5200—a two-stick shooter/maze escape)

Bonk's Revenge (TurboGrafx/PCE—sequel to the TG-16 flagship platformer)

Alpha Centauri (Mac—the best of the Civ series)

Diablo II (Mac—supported for an amazing length of time by Blizzard)

Plants vs. Zombies (Mac—guilty pleasure)

Canabalt (iOS—low res endless runner)

hmmm..following the trend of no particular order..I guess if I've spent a lot of time with a game it deserves to go on my top X list? Doubtless missing several; if you don't want to look at incoherent rambling you're welcome to skip explanations/this whole post.

Geneforge / 2 - the best thing about the first Geneforge was that I didn't really know what I was doing. I don't think I realised that you needed to raise Intelligence to get more essence until post-Geneforge use. I had to join the Takers, even though I didn't really want to, because that was the only way I could get to the north of Sucia Island without dying.

Star Wars: Jedi Knight II / Jedi Academy - you get to swing lightsabers around etc., also I spend lots of time making maps and stuff for it. Most of time spent on a mod for JA, Movie Battles II.

Blades of Avernum - I used to really struggle with oldvernum style graphics, probably mainly because of the camera being fixed to the party, but Nethergate:resurrection helped me get over that, and i'd always wanted to be able to make my own Geneforge things (which thus far hasn't happened)

Age of Empires II

FIFA 'year - err...sorry?

Mario Kart - insert your favourite one i suppose

KoTOR

World of Goo

Assassin's Creed II / bro.

Pokemon <some colour> - insert your favourite again

Sketchfighter - apparently i got bored of writing little explanations

also 200 posts!1!11! maybe in another ten years i'll reach 500??

Alpha Centauri

Amnesia: the Dark Descent (Play it. Do it now.)

Aquaria

Avernum 2

Avernum: Escape from the Pit (I haven't finished it yet, though.)

Geneforge 1

Geneforge 4

Portal

SimAnt

Honorable Mentions:

Silent Hill 2 (I haven't actually played it, but I've seen enough of it to know how good it is.)

Streets of SimCity (Frequent game-crashing bugs plus no save feature keeps it off the favorite list, but it was so. Much. Fun.)

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Aquaria

Oh, I completely forgot about Aquaria. That was a good one indeed (favorite part was probably the Final Gauntlet before the end part).

Quote:
Streets of SimCity (Frequent game-crashing bugs plus no save feature keeps it off the favorite list, but it was so. Much. Fun.)

That's the one where you drive around in a city you designed in SimCity and shoot missiles at things, right? I remember that one somewhat vaguely.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
?

The only thing I can think of does not have any place in polite conversations.

The only other thing I can think is that Fnord was talking about turn-based games as opposed to pinball which is not turn-based. And I have no idea why that'd be aimed at you.

(Okay, I came up with that second one because I didn't want to just be crude. Being 50% crude is fine.)

Edit: Snap. If Harehunter had made that, we'd all have got it immediately!!

Hah! Beat you both!

Anyway, time to revert the topic drift. I could list the games I'm most nostalgic about, but these aren't necessarily the best games. For instance, StarCraft is pretty much strictly better than Red Alert, but since I played Red Alert at a younger age, I have more fond memories of it. Basically, the earlier I played it, the more I remember loving it. You never forget your first time.

If I had to pick the top five games I thought were "best designed", my list would be (no particular order):

- Alpha Centauri

- FreeSpace 2

- Myst

- Portal

- StarCraft

Every facet of the above games is decent, at the very least, and all have at least one area where they really excelled.

EDIT: On further reflection, Team Fortress 2 might have a place in my top five. Probably pushes out Myst, which has aged the least gracefully. So long as we're talking Team Fortress 2 and not Hat Fortress 2.

@Beer and Motor Oil

Totally agree on Geneforge, KotOR and Call of Duty 2, but could never understand why so many liked Final Fantasy Tactics...

Personally, Fallout 3 was awesome. I really liked its turn based combat and branching storyline. Maybe Spiderweb can incorporate something like that into its combat system, so that we can choose to hack off the ogre's left arm or to make a called shot to its head. smile

@Beer and Motor Oil and Avadon: FF Tactics was a fun game with an interesting story, but it lost points for the abysmal translation.

Tip for budding writers: if at any time you feel compelled to write the phrase "he fights for the justice of others," consider instead injecting lidocaine into your fingers to render them too numb to write, and then taking a short nap until the urge subsides.

Originally Posted By: ineedscissors61
@Beer and Motor Oil and Avadon: FF Tactics was a fun game with an interesting story, but it lost points for the abysmal translation.

Tip for budding writers: if at any time you feel compelled to write the phrase "he fights for the justice of others," consider instead injecting lidocaine into your fingers to render them too numb to write, and then taking a short nap until the urge subsides.

c'mon, it had some great lines too, if only by accident

but seriously there's always the War of the Lions remake for PSP, although people have issues with that translation for the opposite reason

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: ineedscissors61

c'mon, it had some great lines too, if only by accident

but seriously there's always the War of the Lions remake for PSP, although people have issues with that translation for the opposite reason

It's kind of funny how a translation with improper grammar and inappropriate pop-culture quotes can evoke more emotion than a bunch of foo-foo flower speak.

Myth II! That should have made it onto my list. It's a fantastic game, and the death of the series is really a pity.

—Alorael, who firmly believes that more games need a narrator to dryly announce "casualties" when you fire a spell that launches a chain reaction to explode the entire enemy force, immediately followed by sending your own army into an explosive shower of gore.

Since there are not very much current gen games listed, I'll give you my top 5 games that were released within the last 5 years:

-Dark Souls (probably my favorite current gen game, unless D3 beats it)

-Dragon Age (just the first one, second one was good, but nothing special)

-Mass Effect series (all of them were great, but if I had to choose one, I would have to go with the first, followed by third then second)

-Dead Space (was let down by RE5, this seems like the only decent game with good game play and atmosphere for the horror genre)

-Lost Odyssey (this is what final fantasy 13 should have been like)

• 2 weeks later...