Avadon, Mac OS/X 10.5, Steam - game won't launch

thither

Hi! I'm running OS/X 10.5 (Snow Leopard) on a recent high-end iMac. I recently got Avadon in the Humble Bundle, installed my steam key and got it set up. Whenever I try to run it, nothing happens - I get the litle steam box which says "Preparing to launch Avadon" but then the box closes and I'm back to where I was before.

I've tried a bunch of things before posting here. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game a few times. I've checked software update and there are no updates available for my Mac. I can't see an obvious way to reinstall my video card drivers short of Software Update (I've just got the regular old video card which came built-in to the Mac, an ATI Radeon HD 5750). I've checked the support page for Avadon but nothing there is relevant.

Any advice? Is there somewhere I can look for log files or something similar?

I'm currently having the same problem on OS X 10.6.8. It just started after a steam client update yesterday - I had been playing the game through steam just fine before that. So they must have messed something up with the latest steam update. The new Avernum has the same problem. I put in a ticket with Steam support, so hopefully something will get worked out soon.

I'm on Mac OS/X 10.7.3 (latest Macbook Air). Closed and re-opened Steam several times. Deleted Avadon's local game content and re-installed twice. Rebooted. Still nothing. I try to open the game, it thinks for 10 seconds, Avadon (in my Steam Library) says it's syncing, then a big, fat nothing.

Oh, well. Any help would be appreciated!

Ok, let's say it's Steam's fault. I have no way of knowing for sure. I appreciate the link to the other thread but most of those solutions aren't real solutions. For instance, deleting all Steam apps (32GB for me) and re-downloading them, then not allowing Steam to update itself for the indefinite future is a pretty drastic workaround when those 20+ other games work just fine.

I'll see what I can do but Spiderweb has a lot more pull to find out what's really going on and why. I'm likely to get nowhere, get frustrated wasting my limited time troubleshooting instead of playing, then just give up, delete Avadon and likely avoid future Indie games since Civ, L4D, and Torchlight work just fine. Maybe it's not Spiderweb's fault but then again, it's not my fault either.

To be clear, I appreciate the help, I truly do. And I don't want to blame Spiderweb, or anyone else for that matter. I'd just like to play the game. I'm just saying that a frustrated customer like me is likely to just walk away with a bad taste in his mouth.