A:EftP - Flaming negative critique

I started with Spiderweb games when Avernum 4 had just been released. This was a very good thing, because I could not throw myself into the user interface for Avernum 3 on my first three tries at playing it, and I gave up.

For me, Avernum I (EFtP) is not a remake, but a brand new game. The 4th Avernum game that I have played.

I look at it as a prequel, if you will. And much like Star Wars Episode One, it doesn't ruin the story to know that the kid will become Darth Vader.

I would venture to say that the vast majority of people who are buying Avernum EFtP have NOT played Exile or the original Avernum. Of course, being outside of Spiderweb and not an insider with privileged information, I have no way to validate my claim.

Do not taunt Redbeard. He may decide just to take his massive sack of gold coins from Avadon and retire.

Quote:
Dominance, don't make negative insinuations about people for posting their opinions about a game. Having an account here doesn't come with an obligation to like every single game that Spiderweb Software makes. I don't agree with all of lukematt's criticisms, but he's allowed to make them.

Excuse me? So somebody else is allowed to make a post full of 'negative insinuations' and if I say something about it "wah don't say that".

That's too bad, whether you like it or not I will express it, i'm not saying he should censor himself, just like I am saying don't tell me to censor myself.

-Ben

Originally Posted By: Dominance
Excuse me? So somebody else is allowed to make a post full of 'negative insinuations' and if I say something about it "wah don't say that".

That's too bad, whether you like it or not I will express it, i'm not saying he should censor himself, just like I am saying don't tell me to censor myself.

-Ben

Disliking a game is acceptable. Disagreeing with someone's opinion of a game is acceptable. Saying that somebody is just posting because they want attention is not acceptable, and neither was the first line of your post that got caught by the autocensor.

I am a moderator for these forums, it's my responsibility to make sure this is a welcoming environment for everybody, and since a polite suggestion didn't work I'm now giving you an official warning to watch your language and what you say about other members here.

None of the moderators are likely to be offended by anything anybody posts here. Some of us have been around on the internet since it was born.

These boards are paid for by Spiderweb Software as a family-friendly marketing platform. To be totally free to post whatever you want on a message board, you have to pay to host your own.

The net was a much nicer and friendlier place years ago..lol

Back on topic..

I was really looking forwards to A:eftp and was not dissapointed when I got my hands on the beta.. I loved the changes made to it.. I think its a really good game and I look forwards to the remakes of the 2nd and 3rd games as well.

The first trilogy was my fav btw laugh

I really liked Avadon too and cannot wait to see what is in store in the next chapter in the story.. I am not fussy about what order Jeff releases these games..It would be good to see Avadon 2 next though imo.. But I easy with whatever is released first.. smile

I love Spiderweb games, I have played them since they first started, I got stuck into Exile round a mates house and was hooked..:) The huge worlds and really cool sotrylines completely WoW'd me.. I had never played RPGs like them.. and still haven't really.. Sure I love my Bioware Baldurs Gate, NWN DA:O etc Oh and Icewind Dale ofc.. But Spiderweb is king of indie rpg imo..

Quote:
Quote:
Speaking of...

There's a reason you don't see Jeff post on here much.

I was hoping to mention that too, but couldn't find the link. Thought it was on another article somewhere, not his blog. Ah well.

Eh, I'm not that sympathetic. Man has a right to read and not read what he chooses, but I think this forum is one of the most respectful and civil ones I've ever been on (gaming or otherwise). Lukematt's critique isn't very nice, but there are dozens of things worse than that said every day on the forums of major game companies. The history posts on general suggest that it wasn't always this tame, but at this point I can't see much of anything that could reasonably upset someone.