Haste-oddity

Buffs have short durations by default in this game. (It may actually be that, as with healing, Intelligence doesn't boost their effect at all, only Priest/Mage Spells, level, and skill in the spell itself.) So that is why. Buffing is a skill that requires the attention of a focused spellcaster.

My guys are only level 9 and I only use my mage for haste and it works just fine. Spellcasters in this game have to be dedicated to buffing every few rounds if you want to maintain them. Honestly though I can typically start an internal fight by buffing before hand and not have to worry about it again, and this is on Torment. Unless it is a boss then typically I'll renew buffs mid fight. If its a random encounter, goodluck trying to buff.

Okay, I think I lied. On examining the data, it looks like Haste can miss: it only has a 5% per power level chance of working. The power level formula is something like

1/2 your level + Mage Spells skill + points in Haste (maybe + Intelligence, not sure)

so it is pretty easy to reach 20 points and have it always work. It does mean fighters do not make good hasters, though.

@Slarty: Hmmm. Interesting. If the formula exists as is, low level mages should miss frequently with haste, and I didn't notice that. Consider pretty typical stats for an early game caster of haste: level 5, 7 mage skill, 1 point in haste. That should mean haste misses more than a third of the time, and I haven't noticed that in any of my plays (I would also imagine that we'd get a lot more 'haste-oddity' threads on here if dedicated casters failed at it frequently). As such, I wouldn't be surprised if intelligence does contribute to the chance, though obviously I couldn't say for sure without seeing the data.

Never seen a fail either. I just went and used the editor to set my L12 Mage to 1 Int, 3 Mage Spells, 2 points in haste and no traits, and started casting Haste. Never failed in about 50 casts, even though according to the above formula the power level should be 11 or 12, so the chance should be no more than 60%.

This is from the Windows/Steam Version.