A-EftP - On Steam for $7.99

If it was even $10 here, and on sale for $8 on steam I'd buy here. But a $13 difference I can't pass up when I'm saving for a wedding.

Unless you miss out on things in the steam version. The editor or something, or the ability to edit files? I know you can mod other steam games.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Steam charges what it wants and the price will change.

The advantages to Spiderweb version is you get faster updates when there is a problem, you get all the versions except the iPad, and if you lose your game you can get the registration code from the company.

Developer sets the price. Steam might run the sales, but that's it.

Are you saying Jeff won't support Steam version with updates? You can play on Mac or PC with the steam purchase, and if you lose your game, you log into steam the game is there for redownload.

Steam is actually a pretty useful tool, plus you get Achievements, which really don't mean much but can be fun to share/compete with friends.

Same here. I played the original before, but still had questions about this upgraded version (such as; does it have a quest journal whereas the original didn't and was my personal biggest problem with the game), but when I saw it being offered on Steam for $7.99 I instantly clicked the Add To Shopping Cart on it.

At that price, considering just how much game you're getting, it was honestly like giving it away...quest journal or no quest journal, it was an instant buy.

Originally Posted By: Kendroxide
Maybe steam is bullying Jeff to set the price low or else they won't carry it. Just a thought, don't see why else the price would be so vastly different.

It's more that it's a different customer base with different expectations and more competition. People who come to Spiderweb's site are looking specifically for the kind of games Spiderweb makes, and so are generally willing to pay more for them than Steam customers, who are just looking for games in general.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
I've seen lots of complaints when a company updates a game to fix a problem and third party distributers like Steam don't bother to install the updates on their servers.

Third party distributors LIKE Steam. But Steam itself, as long as developer provides the update, Steam will distribute it. Steam is a quality organization. It isn't Direct2Download or Joe's Discount RPG Shack.

Steam is as legit as the iStore.

I was just over at Basilisk Games and read that Steam sat on the update for Escahlon: Book 2 Window version for 3 months before uploading it just weeks before the next update was released. Steam makes decisions based upon the money they makes so popular companies that bring in lots of money get their games updated faster than indie companies.

If I remember correctly "Avadon" debuted on steam at 10 dollars with a 20% discount for the first week. So I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that the same happened with Avernum.

As to why there is a difference in pricing between the spiderweb store and steam, Vogel has gone over that tons of times on his blog. He's usually pretty candid about why he prices things the way he does, So I doubt he's being bullied by Valve to under price. It's just the current nature of the indie game market. On steam there's tons of exposure, but also tons of competition, so you make more by charging less (in fact, you probably have to charge less or you won't make any money). Whereas I imagine the spiderweb store appeals mostly to a demographic who have never even used or heard of steam before (And also, probably, die hard fans who don't mind paying extra), so you can get away with charging more as that particular demographic will be willing to pay it.

I don't really see it as ripping anyone off, though, as people are free to buy from wherever they choose.

I purchased this game through Steam and when I launch it through the Steam client it shows as registered. But when I launch the game directly it shows that I have an unregistered version and wil only allow me to play the first fifth of the game.

Am I missing something? Is this normal for games purchased through Steam? I'm fairly new to Steam so this may just be something I don't understand about Steam purchases and may have nothing to do with this specific game. Maybe this is just the first time I've encountered it.

It's not stopping me from playing the game, it's just that I don't like having to launch the Steam client in order to launch the game.

Does anyone else have this issue?

That's typical for Steam. But you can set it to run in Offline Mode at least, if you are concerned about Steam being connected to the internet.

You could also possibly see if the key code is listed anywhere on steam, an enter it when playing not through steam. Not sure if that is possible.

Originally Posted By: manderson
I purchased this game through Steam and when I launch it through the Steam client it shows as registered. But when I launch the game directly it shows that I have an unregistered version and wil only allow me to play the first fifth of the game.

Yea, that's very "Steam-y"...

You usually have to have the Steam client launched in order to play your games (that's their personnal DRM).

Oh, and for people wondering why spend 20$ in the store or 8$ on Steam, you should read the Steam user agreement. Don't you remember that you only "rent" games from Steam, not acquire them?

If you want to "own" your games, buy them from the developers!

Quote:
2. LICENSES

A. License Terms.

Steam and your Subscription(s) require the automatic download and installation of software and other content and updates onto your computer ("Software"). You may not use the Software for any purpose other than the permitted access to Steam and your Subscriptions. You understand that for reasons that include, without limitation, system security, stability, and multiplayer interoperability, Steam may need to automatically update, pre-load, create new versions or otherwise enhance the Software and accordingly, the system requirements to use the Software may change over time. You understand that neither this Agreement nor the terms associated with a particular Subscription entitles you to future updates, new versions or other enhancements of the Software associated with a particular Subscription although Valve may choose to provide such updates, etc. in its sole discretion.

Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a limited, terminable, non-exclusive license and right to use the Software for your personal use in accordance with this Agreement and the Subscription Terms. The Software is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Software.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading an article in which Gabe said that they have the ability to 'unlock' all the content, and would do so if Steam were ever to shut down.

That being said, there was an interview on RockPaperShotgun with the folks from GOG.com about some of the issues with Steam sales.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/11/interview-gog-speak-their-brains-on-all-things-g/

Originally Posted By: ShieTar
I assume the people behind Steam do take some freedoms at pricing the software on Steam though. I did buy this game via Steam, but I paid 7.99€ not 7.99$.

According to Valve, this is a decision made by the publisher, not by them. You'll see plenty of indie games with properly converted prices. Yes, it irked me, too, but because of the principle, not the actual price. I think the game is way under-priced.

Well, it's a remake, sure, and I bought the same "core game" for the third time essentially (the first time through CompuServe's shareware registration service!), but I'm still getting three dozens of hours out of this, so I'm fine with it. It's an improved and extended version.