The Blades of Avernum Metagame Thread

Dintiradan

Inspired by the card game made by Local No. 12, this is a game where BoA players have the opportunity to discuss and debate the merits of BoA scenarios. Look at this page for a question comparing two different BoA scenarios. Feel free to share the question here, to see what other players think. Remember, the purpose of the Blades of Avernum Metagame is to spark discussion — there are no right answers.

This is a little something I whipped up last night and this morning. It contains all the scenarios on Tyran's site plus the four Vogel scenarios, excepting the utility scenarios and a couple zero-content scenarios (i.e., Dallerdin's Scenario). It also contains an initial list of thirty questions; I can post these if you want. Feel free to suggest questions as well.

One idea I had, not implemented yet, was to set the pseudorandom seed for the question such that only new question would be generated per day. Right now, you get a new question every time you refresh the page. If I limit how often new questions appear, we'll end up with a more sustained discussion thread, rather than something that gets flooded initially and then interest dies off. Thoughts?

None of the questions I've received have provoked any thoughtful commentary in my head, though they did remind me that I haven't played Lord Putidus, and why haven't I played Lord Putidus? Why? :|

You'd probably get a better discussion out of simply asking general questions about different topics like dungeon design and combat.

Originally Posted By: Game
Which scenario has a more interesting villain: Kill Prize, Win Ogre or Muffins n' Hell?

I believe this speaks for itself.

Also, I note that the original game does have some comparison cards that say "better" but most of them say "more." I think I would like this game better if the questions came at odd angles that might make you think, rather than simply asking you to rate which is better in fairly straightforward categories.

Alright, for what it's worth, here's the full list of scenarios (check to make sure none are missing/misspelled/whatever), and the full list of questions. I typed the questions out without too much thought; I was more focused on getting the page working instead of picking the best list of questions. If someone has suggestions for a better list, or wants to replace parts wholesale, be my guest.

Click to reveal..

Code:
  $scenarios = array(    "Adrift",    "Always on Your Day Off!",    "Amnesia",    "Aphobia",    "Avatar",    "Babysitting",    "Backwater Calls",    "Bahssikava",    "Beechford",    "The Black Crown, Part One",    "Blades Invaders",    "Blades of Rogue",    "Bonus Army",    "Canopy: Manufactured Womb",    "The Cave of No Return",    "The Cradle",    "Cresent Valley",    "Darkness",    "Death at Chapman's",    "Dilecia",    "Druids of Krell",    "Echoes: Renegade",    "El Presidente",    "Embers of Rebellion",    "Emerald Mountain",    "The Empire's New Grove",    "Enemy at the Gates",    "The Eternal",    "Exodus",    "Express Delivery",    "Foul Hordes",    "Frostbite",    "Gluckcluck",    "A Good Beginning",    "HIM",    "HIM: The Wolf at the Door",    "Imagine This Scenario",    "In the Shadow of Dragons",    "Incorruptible",    "Kill Prize, Win Ogre",    "Kill Them Dead",    "Kingdom Hall",    "A Large Rebellion",    "Lord Putidus",    "Mad Ambition",    "Magus of Cattalon",    "Melliput Mobsters",    "Muffins n' Hell",    "Mystery Manor",    "Nephilim Mystery",    "Nine Variations on Point B",    "Nobody's Heroes",    "Oops",    "Out of Sight",    "Outpost Valley",    "A Perfect Forest",    "Phew for a Minute",    "Proving Grounds",    "Quarhag Pass",    "Rats Aplenty",    "The Ritual of Registration",    "River and Leaf",    "Roses of Reckoning",    "Settlers",    "Shades of Gray",    "Shipwrecked",    "The Siege of Copperpeak",    "The Sorcerer's Apprentice",    "The Staff",    "Stairway",    "Strange Gildra",    "Tales From the Tabard Inn",    "Three Twenty Three",    "To Hell in a Handbasket",    "The Triple Valley",    "Turn That Frown Upside-Down",    "Turn That Frown Upside-Down 2",    "Twilight Valley",    "Undead Valley",    "A Visit to the Madhouse",    "Warp",    "Waterweb",    "Where the Rivers Meet",    "Wilderness",    "Witch Hunt",    "Xerch'de",    "Valley of Dying Things",    "A Small Rebellion",    "The Za-Khazi Run",    "Diplomacy with the Dead"  );  $questions = array(    "has more interesting characters",    "has a more interesting villain",    "has better writing",    "has better plot twists",    "is more funny",    "is more dramatic",    "is more exciting",    "is more gritty",    "has more suspense",    "has more depth",    "gives the player more freedom",    "has better pacing",    "gives better loot",    "prepares the party better for combat",    "has more intense combat",    "has more tactically difficult combat",    "has more interesting enemies",    "encourages different party builds more",    "uses scripting better",    "has more astounding scripting",    "is more beautiful",    "has better town design",    "has better dungeon design",    "has better outdoors design",    "provokes more thought",    "gives you more nostalgia",    "had the bigger impact on the community",    "left you more satisfied",    "left you more inspired",    "left you wanting more"  );

• 3 weeks later...