So far I've been having a blast playing on the iPad version of the game, however I find movement a little bit tricky, especially during combat.

Because you have to use your finger to choose where to go or attack, often times I find myself trying to attack someone with my archer, just to accidentally press the tile besides it and I end up just running up at them, effectively killing that character, and potentially my entire group. It is sometimes hard to make sure I am touching the right tile because my finger is covering the tile so I can't see which one is highlighted.

I think that one of two ways to fix this would be nice:

1) Add an undo option just for movement (maybe a one time use per every several turns). I don't see any real way to abuse an undo for movement (at least not anymore than the standard save/reload).

2) Perhaps make it so that if you are already holding one finger on the screen, a second finger's tap will only cause attacks, and not movement.

On a side note, I have not played the original series for Avernum, but I wish that there was some type of explanation for how four people managed to become in the group when the introduction and storyline talk about how you being thrown in Avernum (without references to anyone else).

This was a problem in other games where you play on a regular computer. It is quite easy to make the mistake for an archer to target near a monster instead of the monster. I don't know if the iPad version retains that the monster highlights when you move your finger over it when targeting.

There isn't a real explanation in the original versions of Exile and Avernum. But it's basically you got sent down as a group at the same time. Since you can play with any number of characters up to a full group of 4, the game doesn't differentiate with how many characters are being played.

Geneforge, Avadon, and Nethergate give better reasons for how you get to the start of the games.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It helps to understand the game designer.

To piggyback on this, I always envision "you" as being the plural form, every time. When the NPCs say "you", they're addressing the whole group, as in "you all" (only shorter).

In any case, who's to say that, on occasion, the Empire doesn't decide to lump people into small groups and pop them through the Portal either A) all at once or B) in a very rapid-fire manner?

And if you were shoved through said Portal with 3 other people at roughly the same time, wouldn't there be some incentive to stick with them afterwards?

Originally Posted By: jambongusa
So far I've been having a blast playing on the iPad version of the game, however I find movement a little bit tricky, especially during combat.

Because you have to use your finger to choose where to go or attack, often times I find myself trying to attack someone with my archer, just to accidentally press the tile besides it and I end up just running up at them, effectively killing that character, and potentially my entire group. It is sometimes hard to make sure I am touching the right tile because my finger is covering the tile so I can't see which one is highlighted.

yeah, I am finding this problem pretty frustrating as well..

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
I don't know if the iPad version retains that the monster highlights when you move your finger over it when targeting.

Yes, you can drag your finger around and it'll highlight enemies. You have to lift it and tap again to actually attack after dragging, which does leave some room for mistakes.