iPad: can't close doors?

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
This is set in all the Avernum: Escape from the Pit versions. There was some sort of problem with iPads and door closings in Avadon so it was disabled.

I'm surprised he didn't leave this feature in for the Mac & PC versions. He would have had an excuse to fleece another extra $10 out of his customers.

Originally Posted By: Xoanon
I'm surprised he didn't leave this feature in for the Mac & PC versions. He would have had an excuse to fleece another extra $10 out of his customers.

Fleece? Really? If you're that unhappy about things there is always the 100% money back guarantee. A survey of the rest of us though will probably come to the conclusion that we're the ones doing the fleecing here. Leaving out the intangible of knowing that SW is a 1 (3) person operation & knowing who your money is going directly to & focusing on a dollar:entertainment time ratio. Looking over the years at how much I've spend on SW games (since E2) compared with the hours spent playing/replaying & it probably works out to less than $0.10/hour (that's not counting the hours my kids have spent on my computer playing too...). Ten cents an hour for good entertainment. How much did you spend on a recent movie ticket that had you in & out the door in less that two hours? Just who is being fleeced there?

(Good lord, I'm white knighting a somewhat pudgy, older, furry faced dude from Seattle. I never thought that would show up on the list of things to do today.... grin )

I'm quite sure the fleece thing was a joke about how some game companies operate *cough*bioware

Also you can't really judge a games value by it's length. Spidweb games are definitely worth a lot more than we pay for them but that's just not how the market works.

Also I wouldn't complain about patching in door closing capabilities smile if Jeff wanted to do that. Game is fun either way.

Originally Posted By: Antione Villia
I'm quite sure the fleece thing was a joke about how some game companies operate *cough*bioware

Ah, that very well could be. I made the mistake of sitting down at the computer before the coffee was done brewing & I wasn't firing on all cylinders/still grumpy.

Length of playtime/replayability may not be something real high on your list of criteria (nor should it be), however it is something that should be considered. Being on an extremely strict budget for many years caused me to value those games that came with a big story that you could easily lose yourself in for hours (Spiderweb's offerings is a good example) or something that was enjoyable but the world changed every game (such as the Civilization series). I think I'd be frightened (& my wife would kill me) if I added up the weeks/months of my life that Jeff Vogel & Sid Meier have taken up.... not that I regret it just that it's been a lot.

Ah well, time to refill the coffee & go ponder other worldly events...

Oh well, I never thought it very realistic that I could walk into someone's bedroom, close the door and loot all their stuff, then leave all the chests and cabinets open and empty while having a nice conversation with the owner on the way out of the house (even coming back a couple of days later and doing business with them).

I mean, if some random adventurer comes to my home, and wants to go into my bedroom and close the door, I'm not gonna let that happen.

I complained about this before the ipad version was replaced, and was told that the reason for this was the ipad version. Now people who are playing the ipad version are complaining about it.

Absurd.

This needs to be fixed. This is stupid flaw in an otherwise good game. Jeff. I am speaking directly to you. Please make doors closable. I, as a long time player of your games (pre E3) have never been so annoyed by a tiny seemingly inconsequential issue... but I am now.

Why even put in doors if you can't close them.

Addendum- If doors cannot close in the next game, I may just refrain from purchasing it.

imager.php?id=1290449&t=o GIFSoup

That seems a little extreme. I mean, what do non-closable doors actually mean? That you can't rob people as easily? Sure, but it's still entirely possible to liberate the wealth of the many for the greater good of your party. That you can't see monsters and hide whilst buffing up? Well, you can still do that by saving/reloading, or by accepting that monsters aren't stupid and would totally open the door once they'd seen you anyway (and, with Beast Ceremony gone, why even bother to hide before buffing?).

I'll admit, I was VERY disappointed that I couldn't close doors during testing, but after maybe Silvar or Formello (i.e. really early on), I didn't actually mind anymore. I'd like to see closable doors come back, but I'd also like secret passages which require wallbashing to return too (which totally will not happen); it's a great game either way, and I'd never base my decision to buy on the ability to put some wood in a hole.

I know it is harsh, but I feel justified. Closable doors in an otherwise fantastical game add an element of... I dunno, realism. Sure, monsters aren't stupid... but not closing doors is. I remember in earlier incarnations of this game, you could close the door... and if a monster saw you before -- they'd just... open the door and hit you that way.

It is simple. Doors open and close.

Yeah, but there are other elements of reality that aren't present, either. Why is this one suddenly king? Because it is a feature that was removed, I guess?

The reason for the removal had NOTHING to do with stealing or monster AI. Closing doors was removed because in the iPad version of Avadon, users were frequently closing doors by accident when they simply meant to move their party through a door, requiring at least 2 clicks to fix and possibly more if subsequent clicks ran into the same problem.

There are other ways around this, but I think when you have 1 programmer, you have to prioritize. I don't think anyone at SW is saying "closing doors was a bad feature." They are just saying, "I'd rather work on cool new stuff rather than a mundane feature that is going to require revamping old code to fix."