Community History: Name Users!

Slawbug

Quote:
CORRECTIONS: Welcome.
SUGGESTIONS: Welcome.
IDEAS FOR SPLITTING UP THE HUGE GREY CATEGORY: Very welcome.

I read this in a modulated progenitor voice from Alpha Centauri.

Quote:
Zakharov: place in Progenitor plans: none visble. Regrets: some. Destruction of Zakharov: imminent.

I think Suspicious Vlish (also known as Waylander) belongs in the 2004-2006 category, not in the 2001-2003 category, as an active member-at-large. There are very few posts from 2003 and 2004 in the PPP, and there are only a few dozen or so posts missing. The rest are in the 2005-2007 range. From what I remember, Suspicious Vlish mostly hung out in the games forums and got into a bunch of Geneforge-related debates. And, apparently, got permabanned by Jeff due to this thread, which I did not realize until now.

Dikiyoba.

Sarasaphilia is solidly era 4. Even though the eras correspond loosely to calendar years, I am not using exact calendar year cutoffs. For example, the Ikonboard Age ends before the end of 2001, because the Ikonboard did.

For new members, Era 2 ends around September of 2003 -- there was a visible cultural shift, thanks in part to the increasing release of information about BoA and community anticipation/prep for that. Earlier in 2003, you get more new members associated with earlier eras: Rosycat, ef, Fort, Nazgul, etc. From the end of the summer, there was an influx of new members who do not feel as "old timey" because they have stuck around for a long time: Jewels, SoT, Nikki, RCCCL, Fatman, Kelandon, etc.

Likewise, era 3 ends around September of 2006, with the permabanning of TM and the arrival of ETSD, along with another identifiable wave of new users: Nioca, The Mystic, Jeran Korak, Iffy, Excalibur, etc.

Given the academic year schedule that many SWers follow, I suppose September makes a lot of sense for a turnover point! Eternal September...