Community History: Name Users!

Slawbug

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Wasn't Nebulan the person who started the rainbow text meme?

Possible, though I lean more towards Vergil as the culprit. In any case, I know it was one of the main reasons Neb stopped posting here, that he was told to stop posting rainbows. I never did understand why the 'establishment' put their foot down on that one. The fad soon died at CRF with no intervention needed. We just lived with the annoyance until the novelty wore off without crimping anyone's harmless creative expression./

Also: Riibu!! How could I forget those beautiful green eyes?

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
Originally Posted By: Kelandon
(I remember there being an account "Jeran Korak," but I don't remember what it did. Wasn't that someone's second or third PDN?)

I have a memory of that. Was it Tyran's alternate while his account was down?
I have several alternates, but that was never one of them.

Originally Posted By: Jewels
We just lived with the annoyance until the novelty wore off without crimping anyone's harmless creative expression.

Without getting into whether intervening was a good decision or a bad one, the rainbow text fad couldn't be both annoying and harmless. If it was annoying, it wasn't entirely harmless.

---

Edit: Dikiyoba, alas, doesn't have any horror stories about being young and stupid on the Internet. Dikiyoba was young and stupid, but not on the Internt. Dikiyoba is sometimes stupid on the Internet, but no longer particularly young.

Annoying != harmful. Annoying may lead to harmful when those being annoyed are annoyed beyond a point of their ability or desire to contain their ire at the annoyance. But then it is not the annoying one who becomes harmful, but rather the annoyed.

Me thinks by then someone just needs a HUGGLE

But really, a splash of color, if not something pleasing to the eyes, is something to roll one's eyes at, not forbid.

/submitted respectfully as my own humble opinion on the matter.

Originally Posted By: Jewels in Black
Possible, though I lean more towards Vergil as the culprit. In any case, I know it was one of the main reasons Neb stopped posting here, that he was told to stop posting rainbows. I never did understand why the 'establishment' put their foot down on that one.

Actually, Nebulan's posts here extend over a year after the rainbow-colored text ban. (The ones in General are missing because of the last purge, but the ones in game forums are still extant.)

Xelgion/Vergil had problems before the rainbow text appeared. Some were sexual comments about Geneforge characters' equipment, some were objectively obstructive text manipulation effects like 40 line signatures, and some were sexual comments buried in text manipulation effects. I think that shows the context pretty well.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Originally Posted By: Master Ackrovan
Although, I do think Nebulan should be added to the CRF roster. He's been part of it since it started.

I believe Nebulan and Xelgion are the same person. If not, I'll add Nebulan. Can anyone clarify?

For the Record, I'm Neb (And it's just Neb), active member since October 31, 2008. Kinda offensive, but I recognize you don't go there.

Well... <_<

That said, the only public nuisance I remember (who hasn't been mentioned I'm sure) is Ghost. Although he was more of an immature spammer and got canned at some point. I don't think banned? I think he was mostly a presence in one of Avernum's forums, or possibly the first trilogy. But he wasn't very notable I'm sure. Just another kid.

Also, Stughalf. Joined sometime in middle era and I know he went quite well with Desp crowd.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I sense copious amounts of stealth editing! Someone get the photon packs!

Micawber's got the right of it. If it was stealth editing, you could change it back. (I'm impressed that it even catches common nicknames, ie Diki or Aran.

( Avadon: Avadon • Nethergate: Nethergate • Geneforge: Geneforge • Exile : Exile ).

Question: does bypassing the autocensor count as cursing regardless of what's being censored?

Originally Posted By: Micawber
I think it's the autocensor that has been messed around with, e.g. when you type Avernum it displays as Avernum. Which is wrong on multiple levels.

... tongue

(quote edited to match output)

Quote:
Question: does bypassing the autocensor count as cursing regardless of what's being censored?

Yes - you're banned forevar!!

It doesn't involve the autocensor, actually; different board feature.

Anti-Establishment is there in part to catch ET, who often explicitly stated he was "allying" with some CRF folk before CRF was around, but never joined it. Salmon, you landed there because your posts on the SW boards, in later years, tended to involve complaints about how things were being run -- much as with ET, Jewels, and a lot of CRF folk. (As I perceived things, anyway.) I did put you in SV as well because I wasn't sure of the better fit.

Again, my goal is to break up the active user lists to make them easy to look over, not to make a precise social map of the boards. So the number of categories has to be limited.

Originally Posted By: Frozen Feet
Originally Posted By: Jewels in Black
Frozen Feet and Wiz could go on the Quiet Long Presences.

Quiet what now?

I swear, you did that just to add to me feeling old. tongue

You've been here longer than I have with significantly fewer posts and I haven't been adding very many for the past year so... yeah, quiet.

So what? He's arguing the 'long' bit? Nine year anniversary this month so... yeah, long.

Edit:

Don't worry FF; if you feel old, just be comforted in the fact that the rest of us are getting old right along with you. My nine year anniversary is in less than four months too and my !teenager! things BoE is a kids game.

Edit 2:

!MM! Mysterious Man was a rather active poster at one point. Acct #6. Member at large at least for era 1, 2 and 3 and possibly part of the Lyceum.

Wait... isn't there a list of SW account names somewhere? Aran is that up and running?

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
Last I checked, The Grand Endeavor was still offline. That's actually what I was referring to when I initially asked about Ermarian, not the PPP.

I'm a bit hesitant to bring it back up (aside from the fact that it is, like the old PPP, an unsalvageable mess and needs a rewrite) because that data is somewhat more personal than archived posts.

On the other hand, back in 2007 I locked down on it anyhow and only made PDN/Title changes and postcounts trackable. In that form, it should be fine. The rewrite, however, is still needed.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Your emo phase was pretty annoying, too, even if you rarely posted during that time. tongue

Dikiyoba wouldn't worry too much. We were all young and stupid at some point. Some of us didn't have access to the Internet during our total muffinhead stage, but it doesn't mean it didn't happen. tongue

Yes, I'm glad my teenage years are behind me. I facepalm every time I see a remnant of it.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S

Anti-Establishment is there in part to catch ET, who often explicitly stated he was "allying" with some CRF folk before CRF was around, but never joined it. Salmon, you landed there because your posts on the SW boards, in later years, tended to involve complaints about how things were being run -- much as with ET, Jewels, and a lot of CRF folk. (As I perceived things, anyway.) I did put you in SV as well because I wasn't sure of the better fit.

Again, my goal is to break up the active user lists to make them easy to look over, not to make a precise social map of the boards. So the number of categories has to be limited.

I see the need to limit the categories. However, the "anti-establishment" people and CalRef folk overlap, but they are not directly related. It is effectively like combining Aimhack and BoA would be.

There are a few who are anti-SW, but most don't really care. I for one simply didn't feel like posting much at SW anymore, but stayed at CalRef due to the connections I made.

Originally Posted By: nikki.
Originally Posted By: Iffy

Yes, I'm glad my teenage years are behind me. I facepalm every time I see a remnant of it..

How long til you facepalm over your current choice of avatar? tongue

Pfft. I'm a proud brony. :3
Plus, I just love Twilight's expression there. tongue

Yes, I'm glad my teenage years are behind me. I facepalm every time I see a remnant of it..

How long til you facepalm over your current choice of avatar? tongue

Pfft. I'm a proud brony. :3
Plus, I just love Twilight's expression there. tongue

Smart money's on six months.

Cartoons should involve superheroes and/or robots duking it out. Their basic premise should not involve ponies. S'all I'm saying.
Unless John De Lancie is involved.

(Seriously, that is the only episode I watched, and only for that reason. And while I can tell the show would be good for kids in the target demographic, I can't see any adult watching the show except for the above stated reason.)

EDIT: Added quote for context.