Acid - What's the deal?[G5]

Los

Hey folks,

My girlfriend just bought Geneforge 5 and has been floored at the potency of Acid. It seems that not only do a surprising number of creatures have and use acid against her, but also it does NOT wear off! Is there a bug or some trick to it?

I just watched her spend all of her mana/essence on healing as the acid ticked away 25-30 health, then use an essence pod, rinse repeat, it took seriously about two minutes of just slowly dying to acid, healing, dying more.. it never wore off.

Why does it last that long? Wouldn't it be an absolute death sentence for any non-magical or healing capable character? She did buy some cure pods, but the shops she has access to early in the game have very few.. she's enjoying the game but this ONE thing has killed her dozens of times at various spots and she's growing frustrated quickly.

Anyone got some insight? I can't believe there would be an intentional desire to make it last beyond any character's ability to cure it without a pod, since those are not in unlimited supply.

Acid is meant to do more damage than poison and last for several rounds. For it to have lasted so long means your girlfriend got hit more than once. It's more damaging per round than poison so you want to get rid of it quickly or the cause of it.

Curing spell/pods are the fast way to reduce the duration or remove it entirely. It does go away eventually and in the beta version it lasted a lot longer.

Having more endurance, luck, or items that provide resistance to acid will reduce the damage per round and give you a chance to avoid it. Enough endurance to give you health and the damage isn't as big a percentage of your total health.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. If there is any left. smile

That's a bit surprising.. cure spells/pods aren't available nor endless, she's not very far in the game.. It sorta makes sense that it lasts longer as it's applied repeatedly, but there's really nothing to do about it when fighting a half dozen worms who all spit.. besides hope that the AI chooses another target or dumb luck they miss, which seems a silly basis for strategy.

I'm a bit startled to find that the answer really is that it's intended, she literally healed at least 30 times, and I'm not exaggerated, trying to stay alive.. I've personally played through all of Avernum 6 and Avadon, and acid was bad, but not THIS bad.. She's not very far in the game and is dying with a startling frequency because of only acid, often after wasting all her essence pods just trying to stay alive.

Anyway.. I appreciate your reply, but it seems pretty.. silly to say the least, especially early in the game.

It shouldn't be very long at all before her character gets access to curing magic. In the meantime, try making more creations to take hits and die in place of the main character. Enemies most commonly attack whatever attacked them last, so it can make sense to hang back and not attack unless your attack will kill the target if you're fighting something particularly dangerous.

Yeah, I get that, a LOT once...

==========

Since it was annoying as hell, I started to use the cheat (shift+d then type healmenow, no spaces).

==========

But, when you want a fair game, you must either have more endurance or more skills on curing effects. Pods won't do good. Maybe elixirs could help you? <---- That's from Avernum

==========

Still, I recommend the cheats...

==========

Welcome to Spiderweb software. Please leave/emancipate any remaining sanity at the door. You are welcome to take it back if there is one remaining.