How about 'Blades of Geneforge'?

Dark Sniper

Hey everyone! Don't you think our community should make a game called 'Blades of Geneforge' Like BoA?(I know this is crappy and shameful to ask)

It could contain:

Some addons from BoA

Manually scripted PC-Can-Make creatures

New questing system

Manually scripted anvil recipes

They can even make it multiplayer!

That's all I can ask and suggest.

(Very Shameful)

The community can't just make something like that, due to the fact that Jeff owns both BoA and the Geneforge series. In addition, it would be a very long and irritating programming experience (among other things).

Seriously, please do a forum search for "blades of geneforge" and read the topics that come up. Years of SWers explaining why it is a horrid idea will do a much better job than I ever will.

Hm, yes. Geneforge (why, even Avadon) would have gone really viral if you could make and play custom scenarios too. But as for what exactly was the major discouraging factor which prevented its coming into existence...we'll never know, I suppose (surely the idea must have flitted past the minds of Jeff and team, at least once).

but Geneforge multiplayer...AARGH...don't let's start on that again. crazy

Number of hours spent fixing bugs so people can program Blades of Geneforge without major errors occurring because was too lazy to fix them when he made Geneforge games. Jeff let lots of things slide because he was able to get the Geneforge games out in a usable form and didn't want to go back a fix problems and/or document them.

Just read BoA or BoE forums for all the bugs that are still present after years of support and testing to get an idea of what's probably still lurking in a possible BoG. The path finding algorithm was only recently fixed in the regular games and the flawed version is a legacy of the Geneforge games.

I do wonder whether a new blades type thing might actually be successful given the much larger userbase Jeff seems to be getting nowadays. Though the newer games are much more complicated than the old avernums, I doubt that the scenario design process would change as much as BoE --> BoA; it'd still use essentially the same type of scripts. Of course it wouldn't be worth Jeff making the editor, but if he made it possible to play new campaigns some kind of community-made editor might be theoretically possible (hacked together from the BoA one?).

If, of course, somebody did want to create a Geneforge-esque scenario within BoA, it would be totally possible, on the whole. Even summonimg monsters would work (and as I see it that's the biggest difference there is) using hidden groups and the join_to_party calls. You could use a SDF for essence, too, for example, and a fair amount of the terrain has already been converted into a format for BoA.

TL,DR: Give this game more love before you pine after something that you don't even really need. tongue

• 1 year later...

Presumably Jeff must have an Editor for every game he makes, unless he has a 4-digit IQ and does not need one.

All he has to do is release the Editor, and maybe its source code too. Jeff could release the Editor as a companion to Geneforge 5. It would use the calls and features of G5.

Documentation is apparently not his thing, we could build upon his notes.

Alint would need to be updated for the Geneforge world, that is presumably not too hard. I just looked at a G4 script, it was quite intelligible to anyone familiar with BoA.

Actual Blades of Geneforge scenarios would not need to be created he could just translate the four Spiderweb BoA scenarios. If he was really pressed for time he could just skip the scenarios and let us do them.

Edited by Ishad Nha

Oh, goodie. I was wondering about this topic that hadn't been posted in since March.

EDIT: I just noticed that it's March 2012, not 2013, making it that much more AAAAAAAA. So I'm going to lock this thread so it doesn't get resurrected again sometime in 2015.

pinkamina.gif

Edited by S▒y░░e▒
numbers are hard