The Fool and His Money

Aoslare

As some of you know, I am a rabid fan of two of Cliff Johnson's metapuzzle games from more than two decades ago: The Fool's Errand, and 3 in Three. I like the latter enough that every time I play it, I go around saying it was the best computer game ever made. That's probably not true, but the game's story and presentation are unexpectedly beautiful in many respects.

Some of you probably also know that Cliff Johnson has been writing a sequel to The Fool's Errand for almost ten years... or has he been conning fans out of their money for ten years? He started taking pre-orders in 2003, but the game has been constantly delayed... and the title, "The Fool and His Money," has an obvious proverbial ending. Wikipedia has a rather hilarious collection of the delay announcements.

It's rather hard to believe that a single game, apparently without any complex graphics or unusual programming needs, could be legitimately delayed for nine years. On the other hand, there are an awful lot of demos and screenshots for a fake game. Johnson also gives pre-order refunds on demand; on the other hand, he'd surely be litigated for fraud if he didn't, so maybe that is just part of the con.

But I'm curious: what do you all think?

From the TV short 1775, Adam West played George Washington and was quoting Benjamin Franklin, "A fool and his money will be soon parted."

Ryan O'Neal playing Jeremy Proctor, Washington's brother-in-law who was there for a loan replied, "So what's taking so long?" He didn't get the loan. smile

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Duke Nukem Forever was in development for fifteen years. The final product was terrible, but that's beside the point.

It was taking pre-orders for a bunch of those years, too, and not all of them ended up being honoured thanks to getting lost in the system over time.

I believe the author believes it will be released. He's just bad at making it happen, and delays beget delays. At some point humiliation also becomes an obstacle.

—Alorael, who at least thinks the demos and the like are firm evidence of progress. He wouldn't count on there being much more to the game than is shown in the demo, but something's getting done.

Originally Posted By: Polaran
On the other hand, I haven't spent the past ten years repeatedly pushing back a six-months-away release date. tongue
That, I believe, is a good thing. Continually pushing back the release date can be kind of like a bad joke:
Click to reveal.. (don't say I didn't warn you)
Q: How do you keep an idiot in suspense for 24 hours?
A: I'll tell you this time tomorrow.

Bad for being incredibly old. It's funny, perhaps, the first time.

Speaking of first times, I told my Sunday School kids I would do my evil laugh for them but I could only do it if I was already laughing. They started barraging me with knock-knock jokes most of which I'd already heard, but then there was a new one:

Kid: Knock knock.

Me: Who's there?

Kid: Interrupting Cow.

Me: Interrupt...

Kid: MOO!

I hadn't heard it before and it was cute. Made me laugh which I worked into my evil laugh for them. Their response:

Kid: Now I'm totally creeped out!

Kid: ...

Kid: Do it again!

The moral of the story is, 'Jokes are funny the first time, but evil laughs are good for an encore or two.'