What are the titles for these forums?

adc.

Well, I've noticed that there are different titles on this forums. It is very exciting if we knew each title:

0 New Arrival

10 Cave Denizen

50 Traveler

100 Spelunker

150 Expeditioner

200 Mercenary

250 Adventurer

1000 Ward of Avernum

2000 Captain of Avernum

4000 Commander of Avernum

6000 Hero

10000 Legend

15000 Postmaster General

25000 Your Postliness

40000 Postaroni, Pizzabella!

-- Thank you! Nioca! All new arrivals can now look at the titles!

-Monster's Nightwatcher

You can find a full list in the FAQ. Or right here, since I'm copy-pasting it here for your perusal.

Code:
0	New Arrival10	Cave Denizen50	Traveler100	Spelunker150	Expeditioner200	Mercenary250	Adventurer1000	Ward of Avernum2000	Captain of Avernum4000	Commander of Avernum6000	Hero10000	Legend15000	Postmaster General25000	Your Postliness40000	Postaroni, Pizzabella!

You can't give yourself a custom title. Custom titles are given out occasionally for services to the community (although that's basically gone; Cartographer is the only title of that kind left) or because you've attracted the unfortunate attention of one of the moderators. tongue

Dikiyoba would like to remind everyone that asking for a custom title is the surest way to insure that you'll never get one. So don't do that.

The other way to get a custom title is to sneak in when the defenses are down, such as when a new forum system is put in place. Such titles won't last long if you talk about them (or post frequently.) Both of those things tend to attract the attention of the mods. For evidence, see to the left. I'm referring to the absence of a custom title beneath my username.

What happened to Drakefyre and Donald Hebb?

Did they just suddenly realise that they weren't really interested in posting after all, and resign? Or mysteriously stop responding? Or is it that they are now in the land of eternal dreams?

(Forgive me for speaking out of topic, but this question has been bubbling around inside me for quite some time now, and I just had to ask.)

Donald Hebb, better known as Terror's Martyr (or TM for short), was banned for one reason or another. It wasn't the first time, but he hasn't really made an effort to come back. He has posted in limited parts of these boards since, notably games in Miscellaneous, but he's been banned since 2006.

Drakefyre mostly stopped coming around.

—Alorael, who is both impressed and slightly saddened to see old luminaries (sort of) sinking to the bottom of the poster list. Lasting six years post-banning is pretty impressive too, though!

Additionally, spending time here does not significantly increase your chance of getting a custom title.

Drakefyre is a retired admin. Donald Hebb, more well known as Terror's Martyr or TM, was an old member who was banned for obscenity. Both of them were mostly before my time so someone else can tell you their history if you are really interested.

Edit: Oh, I thought I saw a laser sight.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Huh...looking at the bottom of the top poster list reminds me that I miss Ephesos, too. He was cool, but I haven't seen him on here in quite a while. Alas.

i see him on AIM once in a while but last i heard he's been working like 80-hour weeks so, y'know, not a lot of time to hang around internet forums~

Originally Posted By: Another Kind of Green
Donald Hebb, better known as Terror's Martyr (or TM for short), was banned for one reason or another. It wasn't the first time, but he hasn't really made an effort to come back. He has posted in limited parts of these boards since, notably games in Miscellaneous, but he's been banned since 2006.

*blinks*

Six years since TM has been banned? Wow. The newbies of these fora haven't known a proper flaming by him in that long. How long has it been since Emperor Tullegolar?

Originally Posted By: Goldenking

*blinks*

Six years since TM has been banned? Wow. The newbies of these fora haven't known a proper flaming by him in that long. How long has it been since Emperor Tullegolar?

He was present, if not quite a regular, on Shadow Vale, so some midbies (is that a viable term? I don't know what I qualify as) crossed paths with him there.

ET was banned, I take it? I have a tendency to miss most of the big flame ups that have come to SW, leaving me out of the loop in the long run.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Dikiyoba would like to remind everyone that asking for a custom title is the surest way to insure that you'll never get one. So don't do that.

*Ahem*

Though, I guess I asked long enough ago that it doesn't even count any more.

And, since we're invoking old rules, everybody who posted in this thread is getting 1 star of karma.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Triumph
Huh...looking at the bottom of the top poster list reminds me that I miss Ephesos, too. He was cool, but I haven't seen him on here in quite a while. Alas.

i see him on AIM once in a while but last i heard he's been working like 80-hour weeks so, y'know, not a lot of time to hang around internet forums~

The 80-hour weeks were a long time ago... now I work a lot less hour-wise, but get a lot more frustrated in the same amount of time. tongue

Also, hi. I've been meaning to pop in again for a while now. Just got back from GDC again, so I've been feeling re-energized about making games enough I might even be able to try more BoA or AIMhack stuff.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos

Also, hi. I've been meaning to pop in again for a while now. Just got back from GDC again, so I've been feeling re-energized about making games enough I might even be able to try more BoA or AIMhack stuff.

Yay! Hi!

Less BoA, more AIMHack!

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
More BoA, more AIMhack, less sanity!

(Also: hi!)

So that nobody can judge months of hard work?! BoA died years ago, and the handful of us left that still tinker with the editor really have no incentive to start anything new.

Edit: AIMHack!

Welcome back, Eph!

I was referencing moderator elections from years and years ago. I actually am not even sure when the last one was held, or who was elected. Or even who was running or who won in the election in which Alcritas the BoE designer who largely avoided these boards was a write-in candidate.

—Alorael, who could maybe see Blades of Geneforge working if Jeff could be convinced to put it to a KickStarter. The kicker, of course, is then someone would have to drum up backing for it. If Jeff's right, and there's no reason to think he isn't, the money simply isn't there unless some fans have very deep pockets.

That's a bit of a legal quagmire. More importantly, it's a good way to get nobody to play scenarios. Would most people pay a dollar for most scenarios? I doubt it, and lack of players would lead to lack of designers would lead to the game being dead as soon as it launched.

—Alorael, who could see it working much better with a tip system. Then almost nobody would tip, but at least scenarios would get played.

Originally Posted By: BMA
Mods are elected? I thought *i (isn't that Big J?) appointed them directly.

They aren't elected. Or, at least, they aren't anymore. They haven't been since before I joined, though I remember, shortly after I joined, one of the mods resigned. There was a push for an election, but that didn't occur.

The mods were elected next week after three years of appointments. If this doesn't make sense, have your implants adjusted.

EDIT: And no, Stareye is not "Big J" Jeff Vogel. That would be the Spidweb account. Jeff doesn't visit very often, because he tries to spend his work time designing games. He comes in every now and then, though, especially right after a game release.

Originally Posted By: BMA
Mods are elected? I thought *i (isn't that Big J?) appointed them directly.
Stareye, and I'm given to understand that the promotion to moderator status is done after significant discussion in the Mod Board, and/or JV appoints someone, and/or the UBB gods bless some random member with the Power of Blue.

The history of elections are from an earlier version of the UBB, when each mod only had authority over one of the sections and only four people could moderate any given section. There was a section called MIscellaneous, which was for random discussion like General is now (back then, General was specifically for general talk about Spiderweb). For some reason, when a spot opened up the Powers That Be, possibly just Drakefyre, thought holding an election would be a good idea.

The original spot was supposed to be a temporary appointment for a few months. Six, maybe? It didn't happen that way, though; instead, as I recall, Saunders resigned from her Misc. mod spot and the election was held for that, and without a specific time period attached. Since then there have been some other elections for open spots, sporadically, at the whim of the mods and admins.

—Alorael, who can remember the results of several elections: he won one (on a technicality), then Lady J won the next, Logalot possibly won sometime, Lilith was elected, and so was Aran. He's not sure he has all those right, though, nor is he positive about the timing or whether there are any missing.