Geneforge 1-3 slowdown

adc.

When I played Geneforge 1-3, I said to myself: this is quite a great RPG. But when it comes to a talking person (not the one in a conversation. What I meant was the phrases above their heads), it lags. Especially on Geneforge 2, the experimental valley lags so much when I'm going to disable the traps. Is there anyway to stop it? My system is LG netbook X140 with intel atom, windows 7 starter and not for games.

Originally Posted By: Nightwatcher
My system is LG netbook X140 with intel atom, windows 7 starter and not for games.

You've self-diagnosed the problem. Your machine isn't designed for games, and Spiderweb games enjoy eating up your computer's resources. Whenever the game has to work extra hard, your performance suffers.

Nightwatcher, how does G4/5 run for you ? I wouldn't blame it on the netbook for now. I'm having some lag problems too in the old engine games (G1-3, A4) and I'm sure that I didn't have those years back when I played them first. Think it's either something due to newer hardware or drivers.

It is also worth mentioning that the older Geneforge games have gotten a bit rusty and lag on newer machines. There is no perfect solution to this, but we hope that Jeff will remake the games before too long.

The lag in 4 and 5 is most likely due to your machine, and the additional lag of 1-3 is due to age.

That's good to hear.

I was sighing that my good old Geneforge is dead, and it being 'not avernum' would never be remade. But why would Jeff always want to resurrect a dead game every chance he gets (almost), instead of using the time to start on another story? I suppose he likes his games too much?

Originally Posted By: BMA
That's good to hear.

I was sighing that my good old Geneforge is dead, and it being 'not avernum' would never be remade.

That's why. Jeff likes for us to be able to play his games in the future, and he has already made a market for the games. Also, it is much faster and easier to remake an old game than it is to make a new one. Pretty much, Jeff can give us old games that we liked and get another round of sales in for far less work.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem when playing Geneforge 1, didn't really give it much thought but like you said it was really noticeable on Geneforge 2 and rather annoying when your mouse is skipping around all over the place. I have a custom built computer quad core processor and all that jazz and I still get slow down, and I can't seem to figure out why.

Just came here to search on exactly this issue. Anytime text pops up over NPCs heads the framerate and lag is pronounced.

I'm on an Acer Aspire 1 722 with 4GB RAM, dual core AMD C60-APU (1.4 GHz) and a Radeon 6290.

Just be be clear, the game is smooth as silk in all situation unless there is text floating over someones head.

It is not my laptop.