Why doesn't Geneforge 3 work ?

Sparkman

Today i downloaded Geneforge 3 to my new computer, but when i start it, it doesn't show any picture. You can hear the game starting up, but the screen is just grey with grey and white stripes. Does anyone know how to fix this ?

System: Windows XP Professional

Processor: Intel Core i5 2.4 GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB

Graphicscard: Nvidia GeForce 8400GS

is your system 64 bit? as far as i know, 64 bit systems have a lot of trouble with most 16 bit and some 32 bit programs.

i don't think the system's faulty here though, because then the game wouldn't run at all. it starts though, just with no graphics, so it could be a graphic card problem.

you can download new drivers for your graphic card to see if that fixes it.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Also, before you do anything too radical, Windows 7 does have a compatibility mode. Right-click the game icon/shortcut/program, and then click "Properties". On the new screen that pops up, there should be a tab titled "Compatibility". Click that, and then try running the program in Windows XP mode.

Duh, misread. Yes, running it in earlier modes may work.

I've also just tried it on my Win 7, 64bit, i3 3.1ghz, 8gb RAM system (onboard graphics) and it worked perfectly, so I imagine the issue is the graphics card. Short of upgrading drivers, I've not much left to recommend.