a standardized template for BoE/BoA scenarios?

ixfd64

Those of you who play Doom probably know about the "official" template for describing custom WAD files. I was wondering if a similar thing for Bo* would be a good idea.

I'm thinking of something that looks like this:

Code:
===========================================================================Title                   : The Greatest Scenario EverFile name               : Awesome.exsRelease date            : 12/21/2012Author                  : Chuck NorrisContact info            : name@example.comOther files by author   : [other scenarios, etc.]Misc. author info       : [a blurb]Description             : Something bad happened, and you must find out why.Additional Credits to   : ===========================================================================* Play Information *Game                    : Blades of Exile / AvernumCustom graphics         : Yes / NoCustom sounds           : Yes / NoCustom items            : Yes / NoCustom spells           : Yes / NoTowns and dungeons      : Recommended party size  : Recommended avg. level  : Pre-made party          : Yes / NoContent rating          : G / PG / R / NC-17Scenario password       : [optional]* Construction *Base                    : New scenario from scratch / Built from [scenario name]Build Time              : AgesKnown issues            : * Copyright / Permissions *Authors (MAY/may NOT) use this scenario as a base to build other scenarios.(One of the following)You MAY distribute this scenario, provided you include this file, with no modifications. You may distribute this file in any electronic format (forums, FTP, CD, etc) as long as you include this file intact.You MAY not distribute this scenario file in any format.You may do whatever you want with this file.* Where to get this scenario *Websites: [the usual stuff, etc.]FTP:Other:

Thoughts?

I tinkered around with something similar to this a few years back; basically an automated scenario browser/download program that got it's information from a directory via XML. It ended up getting tabled, but maybe I'll take a second glance at it.

Also, maybe this would be better suited to a BoX forum...mods?

Originally Posted By: Sick Muse
I tinkered around with something similar to this a few years back; basically an automated scenario browser/download program that got it's information from a directory via XML. It ended up getting tabled, but maybe I'll take a second glance at it.

I remember that! Also that I wanted to write the XML stuff into the Blades Forge, to allow it to function as a repository. laugh

(Which would be possible, but first require an essential rewrite and migration of the site to a more current version of Drupal.)

Originally Posted By: Polaran
Originally Posted By: Sick Muse

I remember that! Also that I wanted to write the XML stuff into the Blades Forge, to allow it to function as a repository. laugh

(Which would be possible, but first require an essential rewrite and migration of the site to a more current version of Drupal.)
Couldn't Views just handle the whole thing? I've never used any of the other display options, but that seems like something it could handle. Hell, barring that, you could just write a standalone script that bums off the Drupal database and vomit out something using SimpleXML.

Crap, now I'm re-enthralled with this idea. Expect a proof-of-concept soon.

Views would definitely be able to emit XML. The trick would be to have it bypass the normal page template and send the output directly, but that should also be possible. The standalone script would probably be more work and less stable.

I actually have a D8-based prototype I'm working on (even managed to get Views to work, though that'll get tricky once D8 does anything major to the Field API). I haven't done anything with it since October 2011, but I just brought it up to speed and working again.

Unfortunately it's not much further along than the screenshot that's still in my sig. On the other hand my vacation just started and I've already dived into Drupal again.

(Ideally, instead of manually configuring all the content types and views this time, I'd like to write them into an installation profile so a test site can be installed without much hassle. It'd also make it possible to work on it with git or some other version control...)

Quote:
* Copyright / Permissions *

Authors (MAY/may NOT) use this scenario as a base to build other scenarios.

(One of the following)

You MAY distribute this scenario, provided you include this file, with no modifications. You may distribute this file in any electronic format (forums, FTP, CD, etc) as long as you include this file intact.

You MAY not distribute this scenario file in any format.

You may do whatever you want with this file.
Hmm, some of these options might conflict with the BoA Editor License:
Quote:
RESERVED RIGHTS: Spiderweb Software, Inc. Reserves the Following Rights:

- Right to place any and all scenarios created in whole or in part by the Blades of Avernum Scenario Editor for download on our web site without prior approval of the author.

- Right to place any and all scenarios created in whole or in part by the Blades of Avernum Scenario Editor on 3.5" disks, CD-ROMs, or similar media for distribution and sale, without prior approval of the author. Fees charged for said media will not be part of or be construed as part of any shareware fees set forth by individual authors. All fees are for production and distribution of the media only.
(IANAL)

Would this be solved by specifically exempting Spiderweb's reserved rights, but restricting others? Or can Spiderweb distribute it under any terms they choose, leaving the notice without any force? IANALeither; I guess the question is whether Spiderweb's reserved rights are transferable.