online, not MMO[G5]

Summing up where we've come to so far :-

Originally Posted By: Spiderweb's 1st reply (MMXPERT)

Spiderweb doubts the possibility of us succeeding, but I didn't get a yes/no answer, and they would risk too much by giving us the source code.

1) They would not have doubted it if they had seen this screenshot and the "experiment" which was posted earlier.

2) We won't touch the source code. We'll be creating a new game altogether.

Originally Posted By: Spiderweb's 2nd reply (MMXPERT)

Spiderweb thinks that failure of this is imminent, and will not grant permission for distribution because they think so.

Meaning if they think it is possible, they may reconsider their decision and be a lot more supportive.

In essence : Spiderweb's replies were almost neutral, and their denials had because's attached. They didn't say no outright. This is the best response we can hope for (until we produce some solid results), and I suggest we go ahead with our project smile. Everyone can contribute & as no programming skills are necessary.We won't be cracking/hacking the game & the CoC will be respected.

But I don't want our future posts to be classified rebellious & squashed. So what does everyone have to say about this ?

Originally Posted By: BMA
1) They would not have doubted it if they had seen this screenshot and the "experiment" which was posted earlier.
2) We won't touch the source code. We'll be creating a new game altogether.

So you need to create the following:
  • Damage formulas based on guesses about how G5 works.
  • A database of monsters (with stats, attack options and preferences, etc.)
  • A database of items (with descriptions and stats)
  • A database of attacks, spells, and effects
  • A dialogue system, integrated with your scripting language
  • An AI system, integrated with your scripting language
  • The world, including dialogue for all NPCs, item placing, monster encounters, etc.
And, of course, many other mundane problems in both engine creation and world creation - choosing a map format and scripting language to begin with, GUI programming, possibly issues associated with making the game cross-platform?

Then you'll need to test the whole thing, find bugs and balance issues, (multiple players should make for some interesting bugs and balance issues, as well as some interesting scripting challenges) and fix them without breaking anything elsewhere.

That's a lot of work. Certainly not impossible, but a huge time investment, especially for something that relies on Jeff's graphics and IP and may be shut down based on his whim.

And will it be playable without other players around, or can it only be enjoyed when there happen to be fellow Geneforge 5 Fan Game With Multiplayer players who feel like spending their time doing quests with you? (Quests that they haven't already done and grown bored with, and that they happen to have a character of the right level for, etc.)

Originally Posted By: (MMXPERT)
Spiderweb thinks that failure of this is imminent, and will not grant permission for distribution because they think so.

I'm not surprised Jeff seems skeptical; most fan projects of even a fraction of this one's scale fail to come to anything.

Originally Posted By: Jedi Nescioquis

Damage formulas..monsters...items...attacks..dialogue system...AI...scripting language...NPCs...item placing...monster encounters...

@Jedi : I never really intended to make a Geneforge 6 or Geneforge Multiplayer, or even a complete Geneforge look-alike , which replicates in every single way the user interface, dialogue system and the elaborate calculations of how the player's attributes, handheld items and other factors affect the goings-on in the game. If that was the idea, we could just as well have, as you mentioned earlier, modified the existing game & added features / put in multiplayer functionality ; makes more sense than going to the trouble of first creating a perfect imitation and then putting in the extra code to do everything.

My idea is far more humble*; we'll be doing a fangame. It will be platform-based (not top-down) and the central character will be a fyora** (and as such doesn't require any complex handling). These are just the main differences, and the rest (storyline included) will be made up as we go along - Remember, this is a fangame so there aren't any kind of rules or pre-written algorithms for the prospective program.

something that relies on Jeff's graphics and IP and may be shut down based on his whim.

True, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. The idea is just to have fun; it doesn't matter if the project doesn't get noted in the Geneforge annals.

most fan projects of even a fraction of this one's scale fail to come to anything.

We'll be the first to do it. Now that we've decided to begin, nothing can stop us***.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
*Though no less fun-to-play, mind you.
** Thats still open for discussion. I like the fyora though, & it reminds me of charmeleon.
*** I know the phrase "nothing can stop us" sounds like something from a kid's cartoon, but I can't think of anything else.

The fyora fangame sounds like a much more reasonable idea on all levels. And if you decide to use your own art, that sidesteps most of the IP issues.

Realistically, however, a fyora fangame is not going to convince SW to give you source code and/or allow you to distribute a modified or remade Geneforge game. Actually, I'm not sure that much would. This isn't to discourage the fyora thing, but you should really be aware of this before you embark on that project.

If you do your organizing here, keep in mind that many of us have been here a frightfully long time and have seen lots of projects like this one proposed, with lots of excitement, and then go nowhere. Until/unless you produce something people can download and play, you're going to see some cynical comments.

Waiting..... Eh getting bored. Oh what's that I haven't been on here in ages?... and now all the topics only consist of edits and cheats? Hmmmm.

Well more on topic, I think this is a bit sketchy but as long as Jeff is fine with this, I guess I'll being buying a new version in a year or two... seriously though, good luck.