A-EftP - Amusing outdoor combat bug

I saved my game while moving past a group of hostile monsters, and in the process getting close enough to initiate combat. Evidently, I managed to hit the quicksave key exactly at the moment the combat started, and the save went through even though it shouldn't have. After getting killed on my first attempt at the fight and reloading the save, my party appeared on the outdoor combat map, with the monsters in front of them, but outside of combat mode. Once I entered combat mode, the fight progressed normally and I was unable to leave combat mode until all enemies were defeated, at which point I returned to the outdoor map as normal.

The bug actually worked in my favour, since it gave me a chance to cast a buff before the fight started. On the other hand, it would have sucked if I was totally unable to win or escape the fight, although I guess I could probably have used the backtostart cheat to get out.