A-EftP - Finished game, want more!

ive decided that geneforge has been usurped by this version of avernum. i have finished the game and it is jeff's best work yet. The only problem is that there isnt more of this type of game.

I beat the game and did the safety path, i am hoping that i can solo the game this time maybe choosing a different path. More on that...

I am thinking of soloing and would like the opinion of other solo veterans who have done it. I am however not going to do it on torment, just normal. Here are my possible choices for character singleton-

1-Summoner/backstabber that uses priest spells/buffs to summon shades to fight while he reaps the backstabs. Naturally summon feats are needed, but the question is DOES intelligence add to summon level or just priest spells. this might work as the extra shield is expendable if they die.

2-Illusionist/fighter-Daze daze and more daze plus high crit and melee or spear equals pacifier of enemies. This might work, i havent used daze that much so i dont know.

3-stonewall priest/fighter. This is basically a riposte king that uses buffs and high riposte damage to destroy melee. Each melee attack that gets riposted is an attack that i gain. 4-6 enemies plus haste equals 6-8 attacks that i am gaining. Id like to do this one the most as it seems fun and reminds me of geneforge 2 days.

Which one would you singleton veterans recommend? Any tips are welcome.

You'll die a lot getting used to playing without support. The worst are mental attacks like stun and terror where you can't do anything. Try to get minor heal at level 3 for the regeneration so you can spend more time killing instead of healing.

1) I tried something like this in the demo and found you have to wait for the summoned to attack to know where you could go to backstab. Also most early summoned pets are kind of squishy. There have been some complaints that the mage Call Beast gets too many unstable masses which aren't the best thing to be near when they die.

2) Daze starts to fail shortly after the demo, but it's a great start. A mage with one level of priest to heal yourself works great even on torment and I'm about two thirds of the way through.

3) I never bothered with riposte since you still take damage. It's a great build with some mage spells for more attack choices since icy rain is great versus sliths.

I found getting parry maxed out is very important since you face lots of melee swarms. Avoiding/reducing damage is important. It's less important on normal difficulty since you don't have a penalty to armor/resistance so you can quickly get to 70-90% level to survive.

1-I was thinking of what you mentioned and thats why i wanted to use priest summons as even though shades cant harm shades, they are more predictable than say a stable mass.

2-Really? So your saying that if you add alot to spellcraft, intelligence and mage spells, daze wont work, thats pretty disheartening as it was one of my top picks.

3-This was just an idea, i had never none that riposte was like that.

4-It may have worked in original but Im gonna just guess that a fighter/ranged with some priest spells mixed in is out for solo in the remake?

I don't know why daze starts to fail and I never seemed to be able get howl of terror or charm to work as well as in the earlier games. But there seems to be more mental resistance than in previous games. Some monsters are immune to mental effects like undead and slimes.

Fighters especially with dual wielding work well through the middle of the game. In the end game you start facing swarms where you want spells to kill quickly. But indoors where you can stand outside a doorway, you can limit it to one on one fights until the numbers favor you. Outdoors is something to postpone until you can outlast a swarm.

I ran a fighter/priest through on a torment solo and the only fights that really needed luck were Adze-Haakai and Grah-Hoth because both have places where terror or stun will kill you off before you can recover. If you have enough invulnerability potions you have a better chance to survive.