If Geneforge 5 became an MMORPG...[G5]

adc.

Well, this was just my idea if geneforge 5 became an MMORPG:

1.) Monthly event and item updates (some items might be rare after an event ends)

2.) Interact with other people

3.) Attack/Trade with other people

4.) Become a clan/cult/rebel/shaper leader (or create one)

5.) Entity Room Limit (depends on size of an area)

6.) Give quests to other people (or post in a job board)

7.) Free to play

8.) Buy/Sell houses

9.) Teach other people with your skills for money

10.) Conquer area by area

11.) Make a huge creation project (similar to the "Unbound project" in Geneforge 4 except you will be the one designing your own)

13.) I skipped 12.)

14.) Create a new type of creation (pure new creation, not an altered, charged or a stock from an existing creation, in better words, not an upgrade of an existing creation)

15.) Java powered

16.) Shaping of spawners

17.) Building of your own fort, safehouse etc.

18.) Maximum creation space: 8 (can bring creations to the nearest tender, if creations are beyond 8, creation tending will also cost you some gold depending on that person. If he/she logs out, your creations from the tender will start to follow you instead and will not be charged at all.)

20.) Skipped 19.)

21.) V.I.P. Membership (to support the game)

22.) Each player will have a different character save file (example if a player hasn't finished a quest, and another has done it. Will have less corruption in game.)

23.) Player can choose to have a secondary class for extra money (merchant, innkeeper, creation tender, message envoy, etc.)

24.) Get to choose your character from 4 species (human, drakon, servile, gazer *could add slithzerkai... maybe*)

25.) After dying, you will be respawned to where you started (if you don't have a house) or to your house.

26.) Still 3rd person view

27.) Wish this game doesn't lag too much

28.) Create your own rules and regulations

29.) Ranks

31.) Skipped 30.)

32.) Special character classes (arcane engineer, carpenter, chemist etc.) will have special GUIs (Gaming User Interface). Like for example: carpenters will have a special crafting interface that will enable them to make doors, cabinets, caches and more.

33.) Oh, and yes, there will be no cheats

=====================================================

These are just some of my ideas if Geneforge 5 became an MMORPG. Unfortunately, this is almost impossible to make, scripts won't do good here and it will require monthly downloads of new events/creations. Only if Spiderweb Software was rich as Carlos Slim Helu, they could probably make these. But one day, it might come true and it will be my most favorite game ever.

Originally Posted By: MMXPERT
the slith species suggestion was the only thing leading to Avernum, his idea was not a combination of games, but an MMORPG.
Yes, I saw that.

Still, I've seen several threads discussing the possibility of MMOs and/or various cross-universe ideas. I was merely pointing out that the possibility of those ideas being realized were approximately, if not precisely, nil.

What about having references from other universes as easter eggs? Not an outright crossover and probably not having any affect on actual gameplay (except maybe equipment) or the main plot, but just little side references. I could see Jeff deciding to add, say, a well-hidden statue of a creation in an Avernum game.

Originally Posted By: Retsnom the Monster
Avernum meets Geneforge? lol, anyway, could be possible but probably spiderweb won't do it.

When it all started, Geneforge was way more graphy than Avernum. But Avernum began to have a heavy Geneforge influence, starting from Avernum 4. Its like Spiderweb took all the Geneforge graphics,removed the shaper insignia, and textured them onto the new Avernum engine. Since then, Avernum has stayed one step ahead of the former, it being always released earlier and having an extra number in the series.
Avernum 4 also introduced the concept of "Vahnatai Shapers".

Spiderweb all-arounders who have played both series can easily distinguish a Spiderweb game from any other one in the planet wink

Originally Posted By: Lilith

Vahnatai mages have been called Shapers ever since Exile 2.

Wow, do you really go as far back as that ?

I've never really fancied the exile games; the graphics are too flat-looking , even for my taste (I'm the only one in my neighbourhood who can relish top-down RPGs).

Even if you don't have any such preference, A2 also calls them shapers. If you don't go back as far as the original Avernum trilogy, you don't really have any grounds for saying what a game introduced.

—Alorael, who thinks the word shaper is very important and appropriate to Geneforge. It gets no or almost no mention in the text of the Avernum series. Maybe if Jeff could pick a different word he would now, but his choice was made long before Geneforge was even a consideration.

Originally Posted By: Eamon
Us really old gamers will say... Graphics, who needs graphics? At least half of the games I played as a kid did not have any graphics. I can play a modern game with top notch graphics and then go and play Exile II with no loss of fun.

West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

>

@Eamon:

You're right. If a game can boast of absorbing gameplay and an interesting storyline, the effects (audio & video) aren't important. smile

But Spiderweb has been developing both over the years.The idea is to appeal to the mainstream (crude?) gaming audience, who would consider themselves to be too honour-bound to play an 'interactive novel'. tongue

The storyline is what really matters. Even if the whole Geneforge saga was in a book, I would surely buy that. The audio/video quality is very important in a game, but not as much as that of a storyline. Imagine playing skyrim without the proper story. Just like Avernum 3. Avernum 3 is very flat-looking and mostly 2d. But when it comes to the whole storyline, it is fun and enjoyable.

• 3 months later...