celts or romans????

It depends on your preferences.

If you like being a magic user, then the Celts are for you.

If you prefer good old-fashioned blades, then the Romans are your type.

Having said which, most people seem to prefer Celts.

As a player who prefers magic, I love the Celts. I also find them easier to sympathize with in the storyline. I started the demo as the Romans, bought the game and played as Celts, then went back to play again with my Roman party. I never finished as the Romans- I didn't like the party much.

Besides, I like having female PC's in my parties. You can't do that with the Romans. wink

[edited grammer-]

Normally I prefer to play as celts, but at times it's just so fun to loot, pillage and plunder as romans. Plus, I like the Tool Use skill. wink

Quote:
Besides, I like having female PC's in my parties. You can't do that with the Romans.
Actually, you can. Copy in celt-graphics, or, if you like to draw, make your own sprites.

Playing as Romans is somewhat frustrating. No matter what great quest you complete, the Celts are always one step ahead. It keeps the two sides of the plot balanced, but it's irritating.

—Alorael, who also detests lacking any magical illumination until reaching Vanarium. He reflexively ignores torches, candles, and lanterns from playing as Celts (and from playing Exile and Avernum), only to discover himself lost in the dark.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Source of all Evil:
<font color=0C0C0C>
Quote:
Originally posted by The Great Lady:
JF has magical POWARS.. :p
JF is not here! (as far as i know)</font color=0C0C0C>
And it's not red, it's crimson.
<hd>
It sure looks red to me. Crimson is darker...

EDIT - actually looking at the bigger font, it is darker than red. I correct myself!

EDIT2 - And I correct myself again with my typo error!

Celts are supposed to be the "Good Guys".

However, in terms of my playing strategy Romans are actually better. I prefer to use blessed warriors and Romans still have access to the most powerful blessing spell - Hero of Old. And a Roman warrior blessed with Hero of Old is much more effective than either a Celt druid or a blessed Celt warrior.

• 2 months later...

Man, Romans rock, no question!

I start with one guy with War 5/Healing 2 and the other 3 as warriors. With Beast Ceremony & healing, the warriors are practically unstoppable. When you get good equipment, normal monsters have a hard time even wearing them down. Put the Romans on autocombat and they can eat most anybody for breakfast.

The Celts, without armor and poor equipment, have soft outsides and sustain damage quickly. It requires a lot of micromanagement to keep a Celtic party alive, at least against harder foes in the early game. They certainly don't compare to Romans with Hero of Old or even Beast Ceremony.

The Romans are easier to play inasmuch as 'hack and slash' seems to be standard tactics (+ working out how the magic works initially was a pain as far as I was concerned), but I prefer the Celts as they're just more interesting and more in harmony with the land.

I know it's going way back and is a bit off-topic, but re. I Wield the Shovel's comments on the Welsh language, I'd suggest Welsh is a bit more like French than Latin, for which we can thank the Norman lords of Pembrokeshire rather than any interventions by Julius Caeser and his ilk in Wales... (Then again, he did conquer Gaul and thus Latin shaped the French language too...)

I have returned! (But I won't stay for long)

The celt's plot is a bit more realistic. With the romans, the plot relies somehow on the stupidity of your comrades,(save the skull) else the game would be way shorter, and so Jeff had to make such a plot.

Also there's a feeling in the romans plot which makes you feel like having to do anythingyour leader wants you to do, what's of course right, you're roman soldiers, but I don't like the feeling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

At the risk of disagreement with the general tone of the board - I must say I found the Romans to be much more interesting and fun for the following reasons:

1) Matches my playing style - I prefer playing warriors, and the Romans are TOUGH warriors.

2) Discipline - the Roman order was far more disciplined than anything else in its day, and this game does a nice job of showing the fear and respect the subdued populations had.

3) Its fun to play the "bad guys" - Every now and then its fun to be the ones that should be stopped - a kind of anti-hero.

4) The final quest - The final quest is more difficult and more fun in the Roman campaign.

These are MY reasons (not your reasons), so please do not attack me for not understanding YOUR reasons why the Romans suck.

In other words - I respect your point of view and ask that you respect mine.

Z

Not Italian, but there are people of German descent who like to play the Romans. In this game, I suppose they're made a bit to look like the "bad guys." I like the Romans, though. I enjoy studying their empire. Several of the conquered peoples within their lands enjoyed coming into the empire (except, of course, the Celtic people). I mean, nearly all of Europe was plunged into chaos with the fall of the Romans, that's gotta say somethin' for 'em. Besides, the Celtic PCs look kinda dorky on the game compared to the Romans.

I like both campaigns. I'm not at all biased about one side or the other. I find the Roman campaign a welcome break from the funky mystic-ness of the Celts campaign, and the Celts campaign a nice holiday from the militaristic law-an'-order-ness of the Roman campaign.

Yeah, I know. I'm kinda boring, huh.