A-EftP - What happens if I use 4/5 Brooches?

What happens if I use 4/5 brooches to reach the surface. I assume my group is teleported to a less than ideal location with lots of fun things to fight.

If that's the case, how do I remove the 5th brooch from my special item list?

I'm at level 31, so the whole gaining lvls thing is pretty irrelevant; I'd rather have this last mission be as hard as possible.

After spending so much time with my party I would have welcomed it to struggle them to death myself, fending off wave after wave of Empire soldiers, until after a few minutes, I'd just be drowned in guards.

That would have felt more heroic, than just reading about it. Using all equipment and spell points until there's nothing left and dying heroically instead of just reading about it.

Anyone feel the same?

PS: I also suggest that some text announces that you're not going to walk out of the throne room alive, so as to make sure, people don't feel frustrated. I just feel, that playing it, would have made for a more martyrical end.

@Demseinwetter: This seems to be a polarizing issue. I recall a couple people complaining quite vocally about the opposite in Avadon: getting swarmed with guards rather than auto-killed when one tries to charge head on into Castle Vebeaux, instead of sneaking in.

This isn't to say you're wrong, just that whatever way it went, someone would preferred the other way.

I don't like the autokill of the Hall if you go back after you slay the Emperor. It seems to me an illogical consequence, as I wrote in a different thread.

First you are hurried with in game messages to be quick and reach the Emperor, second the same foes regenerate close to a closed gate to make you better understand the warning. But, third if you do hurry up and don't loot royal chambers, when you go back to corridors you get default autokill, and adieu treasure.

I'm sorry to say this, however I believe this peculiar autokill doesn't match at all with previous indications.

I have nothing against the 4 brooches autokill, you are warned something could go wrong without the fifth brooch and, even if the autokill is unexpected, you are the only one to blame for being lazy.

In Avadon it is a lack of information which determines a mistake, that is to believe there's no other way to enter the castle, but there is and it is a significant part of the game.

I wouldn't consider the three situations so similar, they are different, peculiar and regulated by some different logic (or not) to me, as I wouldn't say the autokill is just a matter of preferences.

Maybe, maybe not. Keep in mind that Hawthorne's base defense is absolutely nothing, and he only has ~500 HP: you're pretty much guaranteed to kill him in a couple hits. Not to mention that the majority of his offense (the four golems) is gone by this time. Killing him before he escapes might be an interesting additional challenge, but he wasn't programmed to stand up to punishment, even with greatly improved defense.

The moment of "I come to you in the name of Avernum" when you advance upon the Emperor was a true RPG moment.

For the battle, it should have somehow been harder approach Hawthorne when you see him instead of an energy field around him which was a simpler problem to set but made for a tough but not so interesting solution and didn't quite fit in with what had proceeded prior to that, and the fact that Hawthorne was no warrior or mage, as the game states. Maybe a final royal elite of guards instead of golems in the throne room that you had to defeat first before you could actually attack him directly.

I fully agree with the aforesaid; this mission should have been the final mission of no return, despite Erika's best efforts to bring you back, with the other two great quests (G'Hoth and Exit) being optional. When you are going up the steps, you are nervous that if you don't find Hawthorne in there, "your deaths will have been in vain." You know you are going to die. My preferred ending of the two, and it would have made much more sense and also for legend telling in the next two games that this one desperate, surprise gambit by a few ill equipped rebels to strike into the very heart of the all powerful Empire, although a one in a million chance successful, will end with the warriors martyred after infinite waves of Empire elite troops flooding them.

Originally Posted By: Gon
...this mission should have been the final mission of no return, despite Erika's best efforts to bring you back, with the other two great quests (G'Hoth and Exit) being optional. When you are going up the steps, you are nervous that if you don't find Hawthorne in there, "your deaths will have been in vain." You know you are going to die...

Since Erika got you there in the first place, makes sense she could get you back.