Exile/Avernum

Heyah,

Can anyone tell me the name of the book that inspired Jeff to write Exile..? I have seen it somewhere, maybe in an old interview.. but alas I cannot remember where.. Sorry if this shouldnt have been posted here, as its not strictly related to the new game, but any help would would be much appreciated ..

Many thanks smile

Exile came from many little inspirations. However, the two stories most in my mind at the time were the Saga of Pliocene Exile books by Julian May and the classic Robert Silverberg short story Hawksbill Station.

(Robert Silverberg is one of the finest SF short story writers ever. Extremely recommended. Also, the short story version of Hawksbill Station is better than the novel.)

- Jeff Vogel

A cursory search of google didn't come up with the short story to read. I am wondering if it's available online anywhere or if I will have to go hunt it down and buy it? IF anyone could find a link that would be much appreciated.

I recently read the Catacomb short story by Henry Melton and was incredibly impressed, so I take recommendations by Jeff very highly.

A search of Amazon finds the Julian May books (it's a series) out of print, but available in Kindle (e-reader) editions. Some were also available used or new (the latter inflated in price, of course.) I'm thinking that a search of used book stores (some have websites) might prove fruitful.

As for Silverberg, his paperbacks should be easier to find. The novel based upon the short story is certainly available.

Originally Posted By: Spidweb
Exile came from many little inspirations. However, the two stories most in my mind at the time were the Saga of Pliocene Exile books by Julian May and the classic Robert Silverberg short story Hawksbill Station.

(Robert Silverberg is one of the finest SF short story writers ever. Extremely recommended. Also, the short story version of Hawksbill Station is better than the novel.)

- Jeff Vogel

Very interesting. Were you inspired about something for the gene forge series as well. Ive always wanted to get into something sci fi but would only like something that is somewhat reminiscent of the gene forge. Either way, will definitely look for that exile writer.

Thanks for the reply Jeff..:) It was a looong time ago that I heard/read about your influences for Exile:eftp. I cannot for the life of me recall where I heard/read it, I did find copies once many moons ago, so long ago I forgot both what happened to them and what they were called. I might try and purchase them again.. Playing the new avernum made me slightly nostalgic.. ok quite a bit smile