A-EftP - Another equipment optimizing question...

For a magic user...

Robe of the Magi and Lava-Fired Spear versus Mercuric Leather + Smite

The first pair gives boosts to magic damage, but am I correct in thinking that in the long run getting off two attacks will be more powerful?

Given where my armor percentages are at, it actually makes little difference defensively for me, so I'm just curious what's going to let me kill stuff faster. laugh

Depends -- are you using cheats to replenish your mana, or going back to town every time you need to recharge your spell points?

If you're playing with unlimited spell points, then two attacks are probably better. If you're not, then the boosted magical damage will make the game less annoying.

@Slarty: Even with Adrenaline Rush, going from 9 to 10 base AP per turn will still give the character an extra action. Since AR doesn't give a flat 12 AP bonus (like in A5-6), but rather sets a character's AP to 20*, a character with 10 base AP can take an action, use AR at 1 AP, then take 3 further actions for a total of 4. A character with 8 AP has to use AR immediately to avoid ending their turn with a 9 AP action (or gamble on haste), and thus usually only gets 3 total actions.

Of course, 3 and 4 actions are less proportionally different than 1 and 2 (meaning that the increase in magic damage makes proportionally more difference), which may have been what you meant, but 10 AP is still a magic number with AEftP AR, unlike AR in A5-6. All told I think this works in the +AP items' favor for Triumph's decision.

*I've seen a few exceptions where characters get somewhere in the 21-25 AP range when their starting AP was in the mid teens, but the relevant point is that AR can give more than 12 AP (up to 19).

OT: Yes! That is the expanded version of my "may not be".

The weird exceptions probably come from Haste. Haste can activate on battle disciplines in AEFTP since they take an entire action. Thus it is possible for AR to land you at 25 instead of 20. That isn't an advantage though since Haste will only activate once per turn, and at a 1 in 3 chance, when you make 3 attacks, it will usually activate anyway. And using AR when your AP is already in the teens is a waste of AP any way you slice it.

The other thing to keep in mind is movement. This is relevant for all spellcasters since most of the AoE spells are cones or radiuses and thus where you put your spellcaster is important. If you are going to get an extra attack out of that +2 AP, you won't be able to move around at all. For mages especially this is a problem; Icy Rain isn't always good enough. It is less of an issue for priests since Divine Fire is easier to manipulate; on the other hand, in v1.01 Divine Retribution is CRAZY good and also the most sensitive to location.

Finally if you have a singleton, the bonus AP is obviously more important.

Actually, this is an argument AGAINST the +AP for a priest. +2 AP doesn't make a big difference if you are moving around, only if you are standing still.

Additionally, one of the cool things about DR is its ancillary status effect of slow, which you don't really need to apply multiple times.

I still tend to give +AP to priests ahead of mages, since priests are most likely to use actions that don't require movement (Divine Fire, Mass Healing, re-applying buffs). But my philosophy about AEFTP battles has become "top-load everything," so I find the +AP gear to be less useful than you might expect, given its tendency to underperform in the first round of battle.