A-EftP - Profit in Mertis?

Not sure if anyone has noticed/posted this trick yet ...

It's quite tedious, but it appears that with the negotiator trait it's possible to make an unlimited amount of profit (or limited only by your patience) in Mertis. If you ask the Mertis innkeeper for the "finest meal in avernum", he gives you some meat for 5 coins. The meat is worth 25 coins, so normally you could just recoup your investment by selling it back for 5 coins at the Mertis market. But, if two of your characters have the negotiator trait, you can sell it for 6 coins - a 20% profit. Meat stacks, too, so you can even make a profit with just one negotiator trait. The negotiator trait bonus appears to round down (so a sales price of 5 with the 10% bonus would get you 5.5, which rounds down to 5 frown ), but it is calculated on the total value of the stack, so if you have a stack of 10 meats, you could sell it back for 50 + the 10% bonus, or 55 coins smile .

As far as I can tell the innkeeper has an unlimited supply of the "best meal in avernum", so you can keep buying meat and making money until you're tired of clicking through the dialog options over and over.

Also, the comment the innkeeper makes if you keep trying to buy meat after you've run out of money is amusing.

The dialog options can be selected from the keyboard, so it can actually by done rather quickly if you're a quick typist/clicker. Line up the mouse over the innkeeper. Then, do click mouse-press key 2-press key 1-press key 1, click-2-1-1, click-2-1-1, etc... until you run out of money. Then sell the meat at the market just to the south, head back to the inn, and repeat.

That said, I made a few hundred coins doing this in my current game and then decided to stop, because the relative scarcity of money in Avernum is part of the ambiance that I enjoy. I just thought it was interesting that it is possible to make a profit here by just trading meat ...