A-EftP - Slay the Emperor quest

I did it once successfully, Slay the emperor quest, now I'm on a second playthrough and it's frustrating because the party can't enter Emperor palace.

I've passed the two towers but when on the symbol before the cave it says "your travel was in vain".

Got the five brooches, as well, I can't figure out what am I missing/forgetting about this quest...

Sorry I use of this thread to ask something relate to the quest but not to what I posted before about it. It seems at least more sober than open a new one.

SPOILERS

I saved the last part of the Emperor quest, just after I killed him and before leaving through the portal. I didn't know if I could make it going back, through all of the defenders I avoided to fight, but I wanted to try.

I also avoided to loot on my way to the Emperor, this because of those, say, "hurry up" dialogues. So I used a lot of Blink, didn't loot and simply opened doors to see if the Emperor was there.

Well, I did manage to go back, kill the foes, and loot, but only until the Hall where you met Galazhad before, what's his name. There is a lot more to loot going back to start point, but you got killed by default entering the Hall.

What good reasons are there for this death? I mean, what if you go back to start point looting and killing and after this you go back to the portal? I can understand why you get killed if you take the wrong path FROM the start point, but this is not the case. What do you think?

Jeff loves autokill nodes. Jeff's trying to get through to players that no matter how powerful they are, they are eventually going to be killed by overwhelming numbers.

My first time through on normal difficulty was a slow advance through the Royal Spire looting everything but the kitchen since bags of meal weren't worth it at the time. You need dispel barrier level 3 and tool use 14 to be able to get everything from Hawthorne's bedroom.

I agree with Jeff on this. Only, I would much prefer to be killed fighting in game by "overwhelming numbers" and not by autokill. It might obviously be only me that disagree on this, however I can't help notice a minor frustration as a player about this autokill thing.

It comes out clear while you proceed through corridords and rooms that some identical pack of foes regenerate from the same closed gate. And this is a clear in game signal, together with visual warnings, that you better hurry to the Emperor, or you'll end fight forever/be killed at the distance. All right until here. What seems a consequence to what the player now realize is that he is strongly suggested not to loose time looting or opening chests.

So you think "I'll come back after the final fight". But you can't, because of the Hall's autokilling.

I mean it might be all right after all, when you save the game at the right time, you can replay and open chests, have the treasure in Emperor rooms, even get that (very nice) Archer's Cloak on the way.

I am however questioning the logic of communications, signals and warnings to the player for this last part of the Emperor quest, it doesn't sound much... logical to me.