Group Exp drain at level cap.[G5]

Waladil

During this playthrough, I rushed to get clawbugs, plated clawbugs, and then rotdhizons. I also dumped tons of points into Battle Shaping.

Anyway, I'm getting to the point where I'm rounding up my artifacts and finishing up the last quests before I have to start making a commitment somewhere. The two rotdhizons that I managed to get shortly after I reached the Storm Plains are both at the level cap (61) and I'm realizing that if I make new ones with later items, they'll only be four levels behind and they'll be cheaper. (Turns out that rotdhizons and - no doubt - some others don't actually need many points spent to reach the cap in each stat at 61.)

However, I like to try to max these things out, which raises a question: Do top-level creations draw away from your XP?

This, of course, comes with a similar question:

What, exactly, is the group XP penalty? I know it's not a big one, but it's there, and I'd like the exact values. 'Cause I like exact values.

And while I'm here, does anyone know the number of points needed to be spent on various creations so that they'll have 30 in the stat at 61?

I may try and test these myself. Which could make this topic quite boring (just me talking to myself) but potentially useful if anyone else is researching these same questions.

Well, by going back and doing things the old-fashioned way*, I did in fact manage to answer some of my own questions.

First, sadly, level 61 creations DO take up experience. Sadface.

Secondly, the exp drain for having a larger party is roughly 6.25% loss per extra creation.

I say "roughly" because the results don't seem to _quite_ line up with the expected values: Having three creations resulted in an expected-value of 731.25 and a received-value of 730. (That rules out the actual value being 6.25 and rounding making things look wierd.) Needless to say, this last paragraph here falls into the category of "Close Enough." If you have a burning desire to explain away one or two experience points, go right ahead.

TL;DR version:

EXP DRAIN IS 6.25% PER CREATION, UP TO A CAP OF 43.75% FOR 7 CREATIONS.

Hope that helps someone.

*Namely, hacking game scripts and using cheat codes.

Then, I did more testing! (I guess I get science-y when sleep deprived. Anyway...)

It takes 39 applications of iamweak to get from level 10 (just short of 11) to 31. When alone.

Add two creations and it takes 51. I also noted that I hit level 28 just as I passed the 39 cheat mark.

I'm almost totally certain that I miscounted something, somewhere, but that seems like a surprisingly huge difference. That may just be an artifact of the level scaling, because that looks like two creations is effectively a 30% hit, whereas they ought to be only dropping your xp-income by 12.5% or so.

On the other hand, given the same amount of xp coming in, you're only losing 3 levels after 39 uses. Which is still a pretty painful 16% or so. I expected this test to AMELIORATE the xp penalty, not EXACERBATE it.

I think I might have to just play the game for a while now, and not do SCIENCE. Hope some of my maths help someone in the future. Dear future readers: Good choice of game. Keep it up. Has Jeff made Avadon 4 yet?