Quick Question

You need to purchase a genuine copy of Mac OS to install in a virtual machine, assumed you had Vmware WS installed in your PC(you need to buy that too. They also offer a 30-day trial version you can download and use for free for a month if you can finish the game within the time limit).

Overall not worth the money and time and effort to be thrown down just 4 months earlier.

Emulation almost always presents issues of some sort, but you can't go wrong with a free trial. A cutting-edge machine increases your odds of good performance.

A hackintosh (Google it) is installing Mac OS X on a Windows box. It's quite a bit of work, and not all hardware is ideal for the task. There is a large community involved. The violation of the software's EULA just means that Apple won't be providing you with any support. You won't be sued unless you start marketing Mac clones. You are not breaking the law.

The USB flashdrive should appear in the Finder screen on the left side under devices. It has a list starting with the hard drive and other drives and images. Clicking on the flashdrive should show the contents in the main window on the right.

Holding the Command key and n will open a new Finder window so you can drag it from the flashdrive window to the hard drive window. Clicking on the .dmg file should open it and give you instructions on how to finish installation.

So the game was copied over and everything, I opened the folder and double clicked Avernum 1.0, registered with my key, and continued on. Seemed like it was going to work but then nothing happened. It says Avernum in the top left of my screen next to the apple but the game isn't up. Now I'm completely new to the Mac OS so did I forget to do something?

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, although it's hard to say for sure without physically standing over your shoulder. Unfortunately, I suspect it's most likely just the fact that OS X doesn't really like being run inside a virtual machine, and you may be experiencing problems because of that, but it could be something else. What version of OS X are you running, and what's your computer's hardware configuration?

The Mac OS is using...

Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2

VMware Workstation 8

4 processors

1 gb ram

20gb hd space

My pc specs...

Processor : Amd Phenom II 1090T 3.2ghz 6 cores

Memory : 6gb kingston ram

Video Card : Geforce GTS 450 1gb

Windows 7 64-bit

When I first opened the game all the screen did was blink then I was back at the Mac OS's desktop. Now I can't close the thing or open another one.

Originally Posted By: Kinsume
So is that the only thing it could be? Just the fact I have an older OS version?

No, there are about a million things it could be, but let's start with the ones that there are ways to fix.

I don't mean to give you the brushoff, but this isn't really the VMware support forum and we're not experts in its operation; you'll probably have better luck Googling up a solution for getting OS X running in VMware yourself than getting information second-hand from us. I'd help more, but many of the guides I can find contain links to copyrighted material and there's kind of a rule against that here.

Originally Posted By: Kinsume
Quartz Extreme and Core Image graphics

I was just told over on the VMware forums that workstation 7 and 8 do not provide this feature. I'm not entirely sure what it is but does Avernum require it in order to run? Also do you know if other workstation's like 5 or 6 or something have it?
Avernum requires Quartz Extreme. Earlier versions of VMware Workstation do not support it either.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
it should unzip with the one that comes with Mac OS.

I use The Unarchiver when it doesn't work. It's free and does almost all types of compressed files.

A bit off topic, but Mac users sometimes run into an issue where an archive will open with the native support but NOT with Unarchiver. This is only an issue for those that have set their default to use Unarchiver and don't realize that they can still use the native utility. I see this confusion a lot.