Woah! Think I just made a major discovery.

Alright, I'm doing a run through of G1 right now with a shaper and super suped up creations. Naturally, they have always gone first in combat.

Till now. The change? If you can believe it, my luck stat.

There is a servile named Dig who sells for stat ups in luck for 500 a pop. Being the miserly sort, I had about 17000 gold, or just a little more than enough to get 30 luck. Imagine my surprise when my Shaper starts to get initiative ahead of his faithful vlish. No changes to his dex or quick actions.

As far as I know, no one else has noticed or discovered this. Luck has always affected many more things in G1 than the other games. But I never knew to this extent.

This begs for testing of other Geneforge games for a similar effect.

Luck is extremely useful in Geneforge 1, but it isn't as much in the later games.

Exilen Nethergate, and early Avernum had luck allowing you to luck out and avoid death with no health left no matter how much damage you took in that one attack. Of course the next one could be a feather blow that would kill you.

I miss the life-saving property luck used to have; it's saved my bacon (or other food product) more times than I care to count or admit.

But yeah, that little quirk was fun. You take 1,000,000 damage in one round and live to tell the tale, and then get turned to dust in the next round with a wimpy hit that only does 1 damage.

This brings back scorchingly painful memeories of my first and only go at geneforge 1 with my at the time-"Lucky" agent. Luck is a good stat in the first game because it doesnt go up in cost. In later games, the 2% evasion to hit bonus doesnt help as much as there are more important things and luck goes up in cost. I would say that the most you should spend on luck in later games 2-5 is 4-6 points without going too crazy. Whatever you do, DONT read what they say on gamefaqs. The guy on there told me to raise it as high as you can, swearing on it. Its bad enough that the learning curve on the geneforge games is high (especially in g1).

What you need to raise the most? I would want to say melee skills and strength, and endeurance. Find your self a runed amethyst, find a shaped blade, or puresteel blade, over ten in melee weapons, a guardian, some good armor, and a enchanted anvil, you got yourself one hell of a warrior, getting atleast two turns of 50 HP out of someone, and thats without the acid attack, which I might remind you, builds damage over time. My power housed warrior had a 7 in battle magic which helped, but mostly it was the physical.

I did ghaldrings faction in geneforge 5 with him.

Originally Posted By: Tre-I don't know what this is.
Luck helps with conversations. However, I have not found an instance where this is true. Does it?
The only time Luck has ever been a substitute for Leadership was in the Bridge Golem west of the Awakened Mage-center (can't remember the name atm). If you had enough points in it you can guess its password right without being told.

I'm pretty sure Luck only raises your resistances up, and that's only in the later games for sure.