A-EftP - Macbookpro : fans gone crazy !

Hi everyone !

First of all, let me thank Jeff for another wonderful game! =)

I just seem to have a pretty annoying issue : while playing on my newest model macbookpro, my fans seem to be running at full speed the whole time, which is quite surprising considering the low system requirements and the fact that I'm able to play much more demanding games without generating that much heat.

Does anyone have an idea about how to change this ? Could it be related to some weird opengl option ?

Thanks a lot !

The support page advice on the game playing too slowly might, also, reduce heat generation. It is copied here...

Quote:
If Avernum is running slowly, try these steps:

Run as few other programs as possible in the background. Quit web browsers and other unneeded applications. This frees up memory and computing power.

The best way to make Avernum faster is to reduce the size of the play area. On the Video Mode window that comes up when you launch the game, choose to play in a window and then select a small size for the window. Alternately, run the game, select Game Options on the title screen, and set Game Area Size to Small.

You can turn down the graphics detail, which can result in speed increases. Run the game, select Game Options on the title screen, and set Graphics Extra Details to Don't Draw.

Originally Posted By: Calliope
Thanks ! So apparently there's nothing to do to prevent AEFTP from eating 100% CPU time, even though it's definitely not needed on 2.2ghz Core I7... I'll have a go at coolbook.

Bear in mind, the thread I referenced is from 2009. CoolBook was aimed at CoreDuo/Core2Duo processors. From the CoolBook site:
Quote:
CoolBook does not work with OS X 10.7 Lion. i3/i5/i7 CPUs are not supported.

Originally Posted By: Darth Ernie
i have to admit that when i first saw 'fans gone crazy' i was not thinking about the cpu fan.

'AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!!!!!' is really where i thought this was going

Same here. I actually thought that this latest Spiderweb game must have some cool, new laptop features that I was unaware of.