A-EftP - Help Wanted - Fort Avernum Guards Attack?

I have received two reports of a very rare and perplexing problem. Basically, people play through the tutorial caves under Fort Avernum. Then, when they emerge to the main level, the guards attack, as if some horrible crime was committed.

It's a very rare problem, so please don't feel a need to comment if it didn't happen to you. However, if it did happen, let me know. I'd like to see if it's possible to get a saved game from you, so I can figure out exactly why this is happening. Thanks!

- Jeff Vogel

I don't have a saved game, but I just tested and I can confirm how this can happen.

I got it to happen by attacking a friendly character in the underground part. All of the underground friendlies are forced to stay friendly even if you attack them ("a" to attack, then click on them -- can't use magic). This is even true of the scripted villains, who will not turn hostile until their dialogue happens.

In my test, I tried two things. First, I used the "a" command to attack the first 3 nephilim while they were just barely in sight. This way my attack command registered while they were still friendly; their dialogue pops up as I am running towards them and THEN they become hostile. Second, I used the "a" command to attack, and kill, the woman leading the terrified arrivals. I am guessing the first event was enough, however, since players might connect killing an innocent to the guards being angry.

Another plausible scenario: somebody was still in combat mode when they met Lagan across the water. After his dialogue, he is still considered friendly. Normally he runs immediately, but if you are in combat mode he has to wait for his turn, so a player could easily try to attack him with the attack button and say "yes" when asked if they want to attack a friendly character, thinking "he's not friendly."

A similar event happened to me at the Tower of the Magi.

I attacked Adze-Haakai before initiating the dialogue, on accident. Then I went with it for a while, got him down to no HP, initiated the fight and finished him off quickly.

Upon emerging downstairs, the entire Tower came after me, it was quite funny. I never intended to keep that save as my real game. (I still run back to towns to recharge my spell energy when I could just use the editor.) I just wanted to see what would happen.