NO Creation Play-through on Torment Possible?[G5]

This is a hardcore trakovite role playing play-through.

Will NOT use ANY creations ever... (but will do fence sitting early on for bonus stats), will use healing craft and magic though.

MY question: Is this even possible, if so then what build (celarly most effective build is shaper/lifecrafter (perhaps sorceress) with tons of int and creations along with blessing/mental/healing)

Oooof. I'm not wholly sure. Geneforge 5 is probably the one I've played least (excepting 4 - nothing against them, it's just that I've probably only played them a couple times vs. the dozen or so times I've played the first three).

Obviously, this isn't strict advice, it's just what I went with. Personally, I went with servile (though infiltrator could also work for my strategy). Lots of mechanics and leadership, parry, quick action, melee, and mental magic (daze is a lifesaver more often than not, since it affects all nearby enemies and not just one, and dominate does wonders for getting an enemy to take heat off you). In combat I remember having a tendency to acid/poison/lightning enemies a lot (I feel like there's one I'm missing, but I'm not remembering what. A physical one?).

I never bothered with missile weapons, so crystals were largely useless to me, though I occasionally had decent results. Someone would disagree, I'm sure. This ended up being a blessing, 'cause going solo meant I didn't have to stock up on spores, either, so I always had plenty of inventory space. Well...not always, by endgame I was pretty loaded up on charms.

Someone's probably gonna come in and tell me my strategy is dumb and needlessly hard, which might be true, but I enjoyed it. Oh, and canisters don't make as huge a difference in 5 as they did in the other 4 since

Click to reveal..
your character is already heavily modified from before you started playing the game, so the canister effects only really make a difference at one point in the southern desert area as you cross the bridge. Forget the name of the place.

So I went crazy with them!

What i like to do is specialize in one type of magic. Then once that is high, other points can go to the minor. So you can spend most of your points into mental and put some of the rest in blessing. You need at least one no matter though. Im not sure if you can go all out with just battle magic but you probably can if you are a servile or agent.

Originally Posted By: Death Knight
Just remember you could go with blessing magic all the way and max out some of the enduring shield/armor spells. You wont be able to get hit by enemies. Thats what im doing right now in g3.

The game changes in 5, though, so you can't use Enduring Shield, Steel Skin, and Augmentation all at once. You can choose one shield spell and one aura spell. I tend to find the Essence Shield/Armour spells more powerful than the Augmentation spell (since you have to choose betwixt them), and for the aura I would usually go with regeneration.

Quote:
The game changes in 5, though, so you can't use Enduring Shield, Steel Skin, and Augmentation all at once. You can choose one shield spell and one aura spell. I tend to find the Essence Shield/Armour spells more powerful than the Augmentation spell (since you have to choose betwixt them), and for the aura I would usually go with regeneration.

Plus haste got nerfed. It's nice to have some blessing magic for a solo character, but it shines more for shaper-ish characters with lots of creations. It's worth getting enough points for essence blade (6), which makes a pretty huge difference in damage, and probably essence armor (7). Elemental aura is of dubious utility for a single character with good armor, and battle roar isn't that great for a group, let alone a solo character.

Also, if you're willing to hold out for mid-late game artifacts, the smoking gauntlets give +3 to blessing, mental, and battle magic, and the firesteel gauntlets (one of their upgrades) give +5. If I were to choose, I'd probably raise blessing magic to 3 or 4 with skill points (possibly buying a point or two from the trainer in Haria-Kel first), then wait on the smoking gauntlets (with ingredients you can get from a difficult optional dungeon in the Mera-Tev, or a standard sidequest in the Storm Plains) for more points. You'll end up with 9 points by the endgame, enough to cast any blessing spell, without dropping many actual skill points on it. You can then invest those skill points in combat skills for direct damage, or mental magic for crowd control. I favor the latter, especially on higher difficulties.

@ OTG

yeah with infiltrator, started, mainly focusing on melle/mental/blessing along with some healing with spellcraft/mech/leader

my motive over choosing infiltrator over servile is on torment to daze/charm foes will need higher levels in spellcraft/mental magic and if i can survive solo, then can damage stuff.

Melle over battle magic for damage cause:

most foes have low or moderate (around 50%) resistance to physical damage, where as lot of foes are highly resistant to magic/fire/ice damage. And Kill cant compare with puresteel sword. Hopefully theres an acid/fire blade ( or will have to fall back on venom batons)

Quote:
Melle over battle magic for damage cause:
most foes have low or moderate (around 50%) resistance to physical damage, where as lot of foes are highly resistant to magic/fire/ice damage. And Kill cant compare with puresteel sword. Hopefully theres an acid/fire blade ( or will have to fall back on venom batons)

There's an acid blade. There's a fire version as well, but I can't remember if it actually does bonus fire damage. In either case, you can use gems to give your weapons extra elemental damage. The fire/cold versions aren't that great, but the acid one does a lot of damage, and is considered a viable weapon mod through the endgame. It's generally acknowledged that the best gems for weapons are the Runed Amethyst (acid damage over time), Ivory Skull (causes curse on hit, debuffing the target's attacks), and Golden Crystal (large amounts of bonus physical damage).

• 4 weeks later...