Suggestions for Avernum Crystal Souls

Several have mentioned the imbalance when Sliths and Nephils are added to the character mix. I'd like to offer this suggestion.

When the Slith race is chosen, the character immediately receives:

Strength +2

Pole weapons +2

A trait only available to sliths, such as:

Reptilian cleave = Pole weapons cleave +5

When the Nephil race is chosen, the character immediately receives:

Dexterity +2

Bows +2

A trait only available to Nephils, such as:

Cat burglary = Tool use +3

When the human race is chosen, the character immediately receives:

Endurance +2

Swords +2

A trait only available to humans, such as:

Heroic luck = Luck +3 or

Paramedic = First aid +3

These stats and traits would be in addition to the normal starting statistics.

I'd like to say here that I've played both the Exile trilogy and the Avernum first trilogy and enjoyed them immensely, however Avernum: EftP in my opinion is the best yet! The new engine makes the game both fun and challenging. A big Thank You to Jeff for giving us so many hours of pleasure. I'm looking forward to Avernum: Crystal Souls with great anticipation.

Quote:
they were always [sort of] balanced out by higher leveling costs.

If by "sort of" you mean "not in the slightest," then yes. Especially in A5 and 6, where weapon skills were useful even for casters, inasmuch as battle disciplines affected spells.

I, for one, would kind of like to see nephils, sliths, and humans actually balanced against one another this time around.

My biggest suggestion is more content. Namely I would like to be able to explore the Empire Lands a little more freely, but at my own risk. Really neat would be if following the meeting of the Council in Olgai, the next leg to took you to Ornatha Ziggurat for that part followed by you sneaking your way back to Avernum. Not gonna happen, but I can dream... smile

Originally Posted By: *i
My biggest suggestion is more content. Namely I would like to be able to explore the Empire Lands a little more freely, but at my own risk. Really neat would be if following the meeting of the Council in Olgai, the next leg to took you to Ornatha Ziggurat for that part followed by you sneaking your way back to Avernum. Not gonna happen, but I can dream... smile
This. Would make sense for the vahnatai to make the path only one way so if you fail, the empire doesnt get into their lands. I would also love to be able to sneak to where Khoth is, along with many other areas that were closed in the originals. Just make them into challenge areas with very hard fights, and a need for stealth to be used unless you want to get swarmed and die.