A-EftP - Question about game mechanics - damage?

Aloha!

I've got a couple questions about how the game works. First, why does the damage range listed in the description for a weapon change depending on which character's inventory the item is in?

Second, I noticed the Radiant Shortblade has lower minimum damage than the Oozing Sword, but higher maximum damage listed? How does weapon damage work, such that this is a possibility?

The damage system is similar to Avadon in that it shows the effects of stats and abilities that add damage to the weapon. The range doesn't show multiplier effects from items.

Some weapons do 1 to 3 points of damage per level like the Oozing Sword and others like the Radiant Shortblade do 1 to 4 points of damage per level. So even though the Radiant Shortblade has a lower minimum damage it maximum will be 4 times the number of levels.

Basically, there are two steps. The first step is as Randomizer said:

XdY, where Y is a weapon-dependent multiplier and X is the sum of all relevant skills, stats, and the weapon's level.

The second step is to add up all percentage bonuses, and then apply them. They are not applied separately. Thus if an item gives you +10% to damage and a skill gives +5%, you would multiply by 1.15.

How do I identify which weapons have this superior damage dice (i.e. d4 for Radiant Shortblade)? I'm trying to look at just the given damage numbers in the item descriptions and not seeing what the clue is.

Also, given you're saying about bonus damage, am I correct in thinking that makes the Spectral Falchion (with its +8 to Blademaster) really awesome?

Edit: Added question:

How do items that boost Critical Hit chance work? Do they work for any type of attack you make (i.e. bow, melee, or magic)?

Yes, the Spectral Falchion is the second-best weapon in the game, in terms of damage output, against anything not a demon.

Critical hit items and Lethal Blow appear to work for all attack types. The exact mechanic here is unclear.

As for damage dice, that's easy: almost all hand weapons in AEFTP use d4. Daggers use d3. With a few exceptions that's pretty much it.

Some weapons have bonus damage built in (usually +10). So the easy way to determine die size: look at the base damage range on one PC. Then check it on a second PC. Compare the change in the minimum and maximum base damage. The change in max should be a multiple of the change in min. There's your die size.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Yes, the Spectral Falchion is the second-best weapon in the game, in terms of damage output, against anything not a demon.

Critical hit items and Lethal Blow appear to work for all attack types. The exact mechanic here is unclear.

As for damage dice, that's easy: almost all hand weapons in AEFTP use d4. Daggers use d3. With a few exceptions that's pretty much it.

Some weapons have bonus damage built in (usually +10). So the easy way to determine die size: look at the base damage range on one PC. Then check it on a second PC. Compare the change in the minimum and maximum base damage. The change in max should be a multiple of the change in min. There's your die size.

Hmm...when I bounce the Oozing Sword and the Radiant Shortblade between my two warriors, from to the other the minimum damage goes up 1, and the maximum damage goes up 4. That's true of both weapons - which seems to contradictwhat is said above in this thread about them. I suspect I'm still misunderstanding something.

Is the Venomous Blade the best weapon in the game, then (for non-demonic combat, at least)? I've finished almost everything except two of the game-winning quests so far.

Edit: okay, what you said works when I switch the blades between my warrior and my mage - the common multiple of the changes in the Oozing Sword is a 3, and the common multiple of the changes in the Radiant Shortblade is a 4. Interesting. Now I want to compare my other weapons and see which qualify as swords and which ones count as daggers (like the oddly labeled Oozing *Sword* does based on die size).

Edit again: Why does the Oozing Sword have notably greater minimum damage than the Seeking Rapier, but the difference between their maximum damages is slight? Usually what I see is that slight difference in minimum damage translates to a much great variation in maximum damage (because there are more dice to role. When I compared them, both seemed to be d3 weapons.

Thanks for indulging my questions! This is quite interesting.