Do people do singleton in this game?

I find the Exile series easier to play in singleton mode once I have a few levels under my belt.

As to doing that with Nethergate, I reckon it'd be a great challenge, especially for Celts who are going to have to be really careful balncing magical and combat skill development within a single character rather than a party of four. Try it and let us know how it goes, eh?

One thing, though - do you refuse NPC allies joining the party, as this will make the Faery Castle mission tough for the Romans and the Western Formian mission impossible for the Celts?

As noted above, the Formillan (sp?) cave questy in the east means you automatically get an NPC, a prisoner you're freeing from the cave. A mighty noisy and annoying one too!

For the Roman faery castle quest, the prisoner there gives most of the hints you need to beat the traps there + a lot of back-up magical firepower, something Romans could always do with more of.

I Only play Nethergate with a singleton.

When I play as Celts, I make a completely magically oriented character with absolutely no combat skills.

This way, I have powerful attack magic early in the game. I then develop the combat skills.

------------

With Romans, I've tried the all magic approach, as well as no magic approach. By the time I finished the mines, I was able to kill the Drake no problem. I also took on the Goblinoid encounter outside the city, no worries.

------------

I've never beaten the game with a singleton though.

Very impressed until I got to the last line. Keep trying + I might incline to have a go myself now, esp. after your tip on the Celts. I always found the invulnerability potion (whatever it's called here) makes the difference when you're Roman and at the Nethergate itself.

Well, the thing about playing a singleton is that, no matter how far you advance one character, theres a point where you simply cannot progress any further.

This happens because as the character advances, (s)he advances at a slower and slower rate, until the player becomes too weak in comparasson to the enemies posed. This has happened in all Avernum games I try to beat with a singleton as well.

Paralasys spells don't make the situation any better either.

------------

Oh yeah, as for the Drake, I usually kill it by lureing it out of it's cave, then around the lower caves. All the while, I cast ice lances and slow spells on it. I make sure to clean out the lower caves of monsters before I do this too.

Slow spells were insturmantal in beating the Drake. I also found them useful when beating the big purple plant thing in Avernum 3. ( Slime caves. ) I stayed completely out of range of the thing. It couldn't move, so it never landed a hit.

You have to remember, when you keep getting more skill points, eventually they become worht less and less, plus they become harder to get.

With four characters, it will take almost four times as long for them to reach that point. With a single person, it could happen before Goag Nar.

Plus, four characters divides up the enemies, and they can cast slow spells too.

• 5 months later...

I beat the game with a celtic singleton. I didn't find anything especially hard. I mostly developed his magic, and a little spear fighting (spears doing relatively more damage but taking up both hands are good for mages, considering they won't wear a shield anyway). An advantage is that you can put much more blessed stuff on one character, instead of dividing it among four.